The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I appriciate all fo your nice comments. It seems like this forum is alot more upbeat than a few others I'm on. So I'm hoping I'll feel more positive about my ability to improve with you guys critiquing me. :)

The roundpen was half flooded, so I only had half of the roundpen to use, so we were in a tight space. The arena was taken up by horses that had been moved in from the lower part of the property that had flooded.

I get to have my gall bladder out tomarrow morning so it will prob be atleast a week before I can ride again. But in the meantime I doa ll the book learnin' I can. :)

I know I need to work on my hands being not so low and wide, and not puppy pawed, and I know I tend to squeeze with my knees and I need to get my heels down. Anything else?

Try to summerize certain things that need work at the end of your critique in order of importance, otherwise I'll try to do it all at once and get all flustered haha.

Here's a video from back in March before I got my trainer.

Here's from the other day.

She was being bratty about a mare being put away just out of frame. She hates other horses LOL. That's no excuse for my shoulders being slumped though.

WTH am I DOING in this pic?? >.<

I was too ahead of her trot.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I don't have much of a critique cause I don't ride english but you have a very pretty little mare. She is a lovely mover. There is one thing that I did notice in the video that I cannot tell from the pictures if you have been working on it. In the video, your hands aren't moving fluidly in motion with her and every few strides you were connecting with her mouth a little abruptly. It might help to relax your wrists just a little bit. Gorgeous little mare even if she was being a little turd in the video :D.

·
Banned
5,300 Posts
In addition to smrobs comments, I noticed that your lower leg frequently is too far back, rather than firmly underneath you. Sinking a little more weight into your heel and pushing your lower leg forward will help, as will trotting in two point or half seat allowing all your weight to sink down into your heel. If you're riding dressage, it's not necessary or desirable to have your heel sunk as deeply as a hunter or jumper rider, but you do need to have it flexed enough to secure your leg. If you glance down while riding, your stirrup leather should hang perpendicular to the ground. If it's at a backwards angle, push your leg forwad until it's perpendicular.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Agreed. I thought it was funny when she was doing those little bucks though lol. Even though it's not a good thing. I hate when horses do those.

·
Banned
1,994 Posts
Ok I am gonna critque the pictures first then the Video

Your leg has slid wayy to far back you need to have your foot at the ball of your foot and push it down. your leg needs to be underneath you and front of the girth also look forward not to the side and put ur hands on the neck.

Ok like the first one your leg slid back. seems your holding his mouth. push ur heel down.

Heels down/underneath and infront of you

This pic your leaning back not sure why? um your foot is down good. and your leg is forward not to much but just about

Yea way to a head. Okay leg slid back push it more forward dont lean back so much

heels down.dont lean back bend more with your elblows

heels down/ bend with your knee and elbow and dont lean so much, to practice on your leg issue do a ton of no stirrup work. it will help!

·
Banned
1,994 Posts
Ok in the video. Good job on staying on while she did her little crow hops :) Anyways your leg was slidding back and moving a little to much.. other then that good job.
:) cute arab

·
Registered
286 Posts
Your leg is too far back, most people have the opposite problem. The line of your arm is very good in most of the pictures, it goes straight to the horse's mouth. This is also something many people have a lot of trouble with.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, I appricaite the upbeat tones, too! :) I'll work on all that! :)

Oh, and thank you for the compliments on Feather and riding out her crow hops on the vid. She ALMOST throw me at one point, but I had a class of 25 third graders just behind the camera, and I didnt DARE fall off. LOL. I was doing a"career Day" at my mom's chool, to fill en empty slot. :) The kids didnt know I wasnt a professional LOL

·
Registered
166 Posts
make sure to keep her attention on you in the video she was looking off to one side, which is a major no no lol, and her head was way up in the air and sticking out, very pretty horse though :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
What a pretty horse ! I don't have much comments,
but I think you need more contact with the mouth of your horse,
If you know what I mean.

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
im not good, but the only thing that popped to me besides what everyone else said, was thats a western bridle, and you rde english? I'm not sure if thats ok or not, as I ride western, but........ Anyway, pretty horse! :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, I know, but it does not affect how the bit connects with the mouth. It would be like just removing a broken noseband on an english bridle and riding without it. Dosn't make too much of a difference.

And I cant afford a 3rd leather english bridle, and nylong english brides dont seem to exist...

but thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.