The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well as a few of you may know I'm now working under a cutting horse trainer and yesterday was my first day at "work".. It was really more of just meeting the owner and meeting everyone, I start full time the first week of February. So after meeting everyone and talking for a little while I rode one of their stud horses and after working him a little while they asked if I'd like to try the mechanical cow, heck yes I would! I am so hooked! I was super proud of myself, I was riding in a saddle that was much too big for me and it being my first time I was pretty excited about it. Owner was very impressed which is fantastic for me and I was offered a side job of starting two smaller fillies for Owner besides the work I'll be doing under the trainer so score for Amber!! Anyway, I had to gush about it for a little while, I'm just so excited! I think the biggest thing I'm going to have to get used to wil be the stirrup length.. I'm so used to my feet just in my stirrups so I can put weight in them around barrels and now with how short I'm going to have to ride in I feel like a jockey and my leg placement feels odd..

And what's a good day without pictures??

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! I am so glad I got it! You can't tell at all from riding him or by his mind set but he's 26. His age only shows in the few white hairs on his face.. I would have never guessed he was 26 if she hadn't told me.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Congrats on the new job!!!

I think you will have so much fun and you will be amazed how cow work can translate to barrels and vice versa.
Good Luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know, he's a tank.. I'm not sure of his bloodlines, I'll have to find out.. I want to say he's a Peppy San Badger horse.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I was gonna say he looks kind of like Peppy San Badger to me. You'll have to keep us posted on your job, especially when you start the fillies! Can't wait for pics!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will! I'm just ready to be working now.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
How incredible! I look forward to hearing stories and seeing lots and LOTS of pictures!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
3,880 Posts
Gotta love those mechanical cows!!!! Good luck!!! Have fun!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Definitely lots of stories and pictures to come! Hopefully taking a trip over tomorrow!

·
Banned
3,880 Posts
I'm moving my horse to a cutting/cow horse facility in about 3 weeks!!! Can't wait to put him on some cows!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
11,953 Posts
You already know that I'm excited for ya! Glad you are enjoying it. Now I'm going to have to visit you at work the next time I'm down that way :)

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
A woman (owner) is in my circle of horse people and we know a lot of the same people. My name was brought up and people saying I was a really good rider and had started a few horses with good results.. The trainer (actually Rob on HoFo) contacted me and we went back and forth for a week or so, I sent he and Owner videos of me riding and they liked what they saw.. This has been in the works for a month now and I've talked to Owner a lot about it, went and rode with her, she said she loved me and asked if I could even start before Rob moved over from Lousiana at the beginning of February, starting the two small mares.. I just lucked into the job and had good references and riding a lot of disciplines, not just barrels and the fact I've worked at barns and just have a lot of experience in different things. So, I'm super excited about it and really excited about competing in a new discipline, adding that to my belt.. I guess it really shows what a good reputation can do for you.

MHF you know it! I'd love to have you down again and maybe ride a few this time. You can bring Knothead with you and take Hickory home with ya. ;)

·
Registered
808 Posts
So happy for you Drum! Sounds like a blast, we will definitley need more pictures. Gorgeous horse you were riding too! :)

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
Nice work!!!

So excited for you. Sounds like a fantastic learning experience!!

Definately keep us updated.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Congrats on the new job! You'll learn a bucket load.. and I am swooning that gorgeous gorgeous man!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.