The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting my first horse in a couple weeks (I am 15) and I'm not sure how to introduce her to the feed I have chosen (Purina Strategy Healthy Edge) I am not able to get her old feed and would like to know how to introduce it to her without the old feed, and I know it takes 7-10 days. Where I am boarding her there isn't an indoor arena or anything like that, just a pasture and a 3 stalled barn. I won't be doing much with her, plus winter is coming.. She is an 8yr QH and is about 15 hh. This has been the one thing I've been freaking out about!!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Ask if you can buy a bag or so of her old feed from the previous owner, or try to get your hands on a bag somehow.. You can slowly wean her off of the old feed and on to the new feed. The Strategy is a good feed and I've seen a lot of horses have good results with it. I'd start by adding a little strategy to her regular feed and upping it a little at a time then weaning her off of the old feed by feeding less of it and more of the Strategy.. I'd take it slow so it isn't such a change but switching feeds isn't a hard thing. Just something to watch and take note of.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I am getting my first horse in a couple weeks (I am 15) and I'm not sure how to introduce her to the feed I have chosen (Purina Strategy Healthy Edge) I am not able to get her old feed and would like to know how to introduce it to her without the old feed, and I know it takes 7-10 days. Where I am boarding her there isn't an indoor arena or anything like that, just a pasture and a 3 stalled barn. I won't be doing much with her, plus winter is coming.. She is an 8yr QH and is about 15 hh. This has been the one thing I've been freaking out about!!
congratulations on getting your 1st horse! Such an exciting time!

Reactions: Conall97

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay!! And by handful, do you literally mean a handful?? Then add another handful each time or half? Because I'm new with the whole amount to feed a horse and people say oh they need 4 lbs, and I'm like Whaa? Lol But I get the basics, like my fiend uses the Purina Strategy and she gave her horse a "cup"? Of it and I think a bit more now that it's winter...

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
Literally a handful, yes. Then it depends what else the horse will eat. Hay, how much? What type of hay, how often will it be fed a day. If you give me more details I can tell you more:)
All feed should be weighed, not measured by the cup, scoop or coffeecan, or flake, btw. Great variables there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I am going to feed her twice daily, and it's going to be grass hay and I was thinking about 2 flakes per feeding..?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
You would have to weigh her feed. She needs 1.5 to 2 % of her body weight in feed per day. So if she is 1000lbs aprox. She needs 15 to 20 pounds of food a day, most of this should be hay.
The bag of food your buying her, should have recomondations on how much to feed her.
For example 1.5 kg for every 100 pounds of horse.

If she starts losing weight you may have to up her feed and vise versa, if she is getting to fat you might want to cut back.

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
I have different Hays from different suppliers and, surprise, they all differ in weight per flake:)
So weighing some flakes gives you a pretty good idea. With grass hay I personally would go free choice, but with a slowfeeder haynet, so horse eats like it's meant to eat, a little, but constantly. Then, the amount of sweetfeed/grain/pellets depends on the workload. The feed you mentioned asks for a minimum of 0.3lbs per 100lbs of bodyweight for maintenance. Now, maintenance includes light riding for an hour daily. The minimum amount is set to make sure horse gets all needed vitamins and minerals.
So I would, unless horsie is already overweight, start with about the middle of minimum and maximum recommended ration. On top of free choice hay.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.