The Horse Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
7. I have Pralines- real pralines from a shop on Bourbon St.馃槏馃槏. DH鈥檚 co-worker and his family went to New Orleans for a few days. I asked if they would please bring me some real Pralines and they did. I will have to make this box of eight last a long time馃崼馃崼
Hay Walkin! Here's a couple of Praline recipes. One's more like a Peanut Brittle type recipe and the other is a New Orleans style Praline Recipe.

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups (7 1/2oz/213g) Pecans
  • 2 cups (16oz/450g) sugar
  • 1 tablespoon (1/2oz/14g) butter
  • 1/2 cup (4floz/115ml) water
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350掳F (180掳C). Place almonds on a baking sheet, and toast until golden brown and fragrant, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven, and set aside to cool.
  2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Butter the parchment. Set aside for later.
  3. In a medium sauce pan, combine the sugar and water over medium-low heat. Allow the sugar to dissolve and once it does you can then bring the mix to a simmer. Brush down the sides of pan with a pastry brush dipped in water to prevent crystals from forming.
  4. Simmer without stirring until the caramel is deep amber in color, roughly 10-15 minutes.
  5. Straight away turn off the heat and add in the butter and pecans, coating them in caramel.
  6. Immediately pour the praline onto the prepared baking sheet. Be careful not to touch the caramel.
  7. Once hardened break into pieces.

Ingredients:
    1 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    4 tablespoons unsalted butter
    2 tablespoons water
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 cups chopped pecans

1 Mix light brown sugar, granulated sugar, heavy cream, butter, water and salt in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until sugar dissolves. Stir in pecans and cook over medium heat until mixture reaches the soft ball stage, 238 to 240 degrees F on a candy thermometer. If you spoon a drop of boiling syrup into a cup of ice water, it will form a soft ball that flattens easily between your fingers.

2 Remove pan from heat and stir rapidly until mixture thickens. Drop pralines by the spoonfuls, 1-inch apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Let cool completely until firm. Store in an airtight container.

Registered
Happy Birthday Remington! And Happy Thanksgiving Canadian Friends!

This weekend is Indigenous People's celebration, so 3 day weekend for us. We'll be going to the First Americans Museum in Oklahoma City on Monday. They're have several different events for celebration, dancing, games, lectures, art, you name it, there's going to be a bunch of it.

Otherwise we'll be doing some fall preparation stuff, getting things ready for winter. It might rain, but weather won't get real nasty until later but need to be prepared rather than getting caught unprepared.

Dinner? Not sure. Haven't really dug through the freezer to see what's all available.

Hope your hand is getting better @Caledonian!

Registered

Registered
The New Orlean's style are what I make. We always called them Blondies. 馃構. They're the bomb.

We had a nest of ground hornets or what we thought were multiple nests that we could never quite get rid of until a family of armadillos moved in. Our yard looked like the streets after a NY ticker tape parade. 馃槼 the hole they excavated was huge. Forever endeared me to their digging ways.
I'm not a real big candy person but I prefer the more peanut brittle kind. Not that in love with the softer, creamier kind. I rarely eat either one. I have an aunt that makes the creamier one and it's pretty good, she brings them to every family gathering and never has to take any home.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts