Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in absolute clip order this morning.. but with a big grin :D

My new loan/lease horse Paul is a beastie 9yo 17.2hh Trakehner. Owners are lovely, and got a message yesterday to ask if I wanted a joint lesson with a trainer that comes out. Myself and another girl, not nose to tail style though!

Naturally, I was very excited after riding babies for a few years.. actually getting something meaty and powerful and see what I could get.. sixth time riding him!

Walk warm up.. brilliant! Trot.. I was mortified. He had the dentist yesterday, with minimal work, and I put it down to that.

He grabbed the bit, held, and locked his body. I nearly crashed in to the wife of the family on her horse, and my hand was on my knee.

Discussed with trainer, she said try and see, he may be mickey taking, or it may be pain.

I push him in to a canter, and he softens.

So then I get mean.

It wasn't overly pretty to start off with, but I also didn't realise he'd had two days off, and the last rider was the beginner family friend who just plods around.

WOW. What a horse. I lasted an hour too (major shock here! So unfit with my riding).

The unsweatable horse was.. soaked. But we ended it on a good note!!

Any tip for a horse that grabs the bit? He doesn't go anywhere, but I could have had deadweights as my hands, he wasn't budging!!

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Woohoo!! Thats great, it's so good to ride a more mature horse after riding youngsters and 'ferals' for a while. I know I'll be itching to get on something that does more than walk, trot and canter after a few months of post-broken Billy!!

Re horse that grabs the bit - most bloody irritating habit. Spighi used to do it, drove me crazy and left my arms aching - which takes a fair bit considering I am body building!!!!
Try dropping one rein, and moving him steeply lateral. As soon as he softens, ride forward. Rinse, lather, repeat.
So many things you can do, but this one has worked for me quite a few times on the horse's that truly just want to lug on you.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was amazing.. apart from cantering a 20m circle, I was lulled in to a false sense of security, and he took the opportunity to grab and go straight, but did it in such a way he jarred my hip.. walking like a fool today!!

At one point I practically had the rein in one hand, and trying to pull his gob to my knee. Trainer was asking me to do smaller lections.. so c10-8m circles, serpentines etc.. easier said than done with a cardboard cutout!

He would move laterally, and very well. And the when asked to move off.. SNATCH.

MAN.

I am not weak (though not bodybuilding standard :p) and if I sat any deeper, and tried to flex any more and boot his side (not really, but you get my meaning!) I would have broken myself or him.

Thankfully we got there in the end, otherwise I would have most likely packed it in!
Wife then told me she doesn't ride the horse because of that. He is, through and through, a mans horse. My 56kgs and shorter legs do not compare!!

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ha! He is built like on!

Will let you know. Just thankful he understood me in the end and we got some great work! I didn't realise how much I missed a powerful hind end!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.