The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

First time = awkward :/

4K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Jordan S 
#1 ·
Riding in an english saddle that is. I bought one yesterday and rode in it. Wow. talk about a change. especially in the canter. I feel sooo.... awkward. lol. The sturrips are the biggest change. No more big ol' fenders to keep your legs in place, and english sturrips move alot more. My left one especially doesn't like me. lol. I happy to say that I can jump in it ALOT better than I can western. Even when I lose my damned left sturrip. lol. I am excited to go riding in it again today.

Any one else switch over from western to english? What were the main problems you found?

Also tips for riding english would be nice as I'm out in the dark.

#3 ·
I switched from western to English as well, and had a lot of the same problems until I got used to the "lack of support". I agree with JDI, a good instructor's eye will help you out quite a bit.

Barring an instructor's help, read up on the how's and why's of equitation and position. Almost all of being comfy and effective in an English saddle (and western, too, if you want to get down to the nitty gritty) is in having a solid position. I find myself making mantras to remind myself to fix my lingering bad habits. Honestly, the wow factor and the awkwardness do diminish once you get used to having less leather between you and the horse.

I also recommend lots of no-stirrup work, w/t/c, posting trot and 2-point without stirrups, and perhaps jumping w/o stirrups eventually. Not "fun" in the classical sense, but one of the better ways to force yourself to get solid legs.

Best of luck, and have fun! :D

#5 ·
I switched halfway over. I still am focusing on western as my main style of riding but I am taking on some Jumping and dressage when there's nothing western for me to do.

Biggest thing I disliked was posting trots. I found that took a few rides for me to get the hang of. And riding one-handed. Being very active in the reining and cutting industry I always rode one-handed and it was very hard to break that habit to two hands.

I would get comfortable in all the gaits before you continue to jump. I'm not going to tell you to getan instructor beause that's what everyone is going to say and I know I learned without an instructor for the first six months when I started riding, and when I went into my trainers lesson she said I had managed to teach myself the good basics. I wasn't completely rounded, but I think if you ride enough to get comfortable in good habits on your own. Western and English riding positions aren't really that differant, the basics are the same. Heels down, sit up straight, blah blah blah. :D

#6 ·
I make the 'switch' weekly and honestly prefer western. I started english and showed huntseat for a while and decided to try western and loved it. I school my horse in an english saddle...no jumping (as i age, i find more ways around fences than over) but for simple training we use an english saddle. Everything else is western.

#7 ·
I have never had an instructor in my life. I rode again today and my mare did not want to jump at all. She refused everytime. Well she did jump twice. Fell off for the first time in .... a long time. Knocked my head real hard on the jump. I'm ok. Just bruised. My ego as well. And ****** off that I couldn't stick. Lemme tell you I'm going to be doing alot of practicing. I'm more comfy in the canter today than yesterday. And the gallop is good too. Posting feels so weird. I'm gonna be doing alot of that.

#8 ·
When I was doing western I had difficulty /not/ posting.

The idea isn't like going UPDOWNUPDOWNUPDOWN it's more so focusing on just vibing with the rhythm of the horse, and it should be a lot easier than just focusing on posting. Besides, you'll find it a LOT more comfortable over long distances.

#10 ·
My mare has a nice slow WP like trot or a hard as hell horrible trot. I try and keep her in the slow trot. Very easy and comfy to sit. I could ride it forever.

Although I have never had lessons, I am seriously considering taking some. I just gotta see if I can afford them. I would love to take some basic english and jumping lessons.

#13 ·
Lessons would be good, but don't sweat it for the basics.
I WOULD sweat it for the basics - if you have the basics down you can become an effective rider, and in an english saddle it's harder to get the basics IMO. From your OP I get the impression you're not looking to FEI dressage. If you get the basics down, and a solid position, you can move on from there. To be an effective english rider you really need to have the proper seat and mentality. You can learn lots from books, but having someone to help you real-time on the ground would be perfect.
If you can afford it, I'd put the money into some lessons now - you'll learn to move quickly since obviously you've been riding for a while. You'll also learn a good position which will keep you secure for jumping to avoid those spills!
IMO, 95% of the people who say "don't take lessons I didn't and I'm great blah blah blah" really aren't that great, they've just had no one there to say "no, you're wrong". Just my opinion. Lesson with a good trainer are never a bad investment.

#14 ·
JustDressageIt- I really, really respect you...I seriously do and I think you are a wonderful rider and horsemen, but I must say I disagree with you right now. I don't think everything is by the book. I know a girl who taught herself to rude on a unbroke, three year old filly and now she's the best rider I've ever seen and she taught herself completely. She never even had an instructor to tell her "Heels Down!"

although if you want to learn fast an instructor is brilliant (I have one myself) but I find her just a toning tool. I get comfortable, find my seat, and she nudges me slightly. So far I'v gotten most things right...except for the little things that don't make as much of a differance.

Excuse my typos. I'm on an iPod keyboard.
Posted via Mobile Device

#15 ·
By no means am I great! lol. I guess you could say I have had lessons.....I worked for a trainer, riding his 3 year olds that he had put a few rides on. If he saw me doing something wrong he would correct me. But thats about it. That was last year and I have been riding since....... I can't even remember.

#16 ·
IMO, 95% of the people who say "don't take lessons I didn't and I'm great blah blah blah" really aren't that great, they've just had no one there to say "no, you're wrong". Just my opinion. Lesson with a good trainer are never a bad investment.
Lessons are great, and I take lessons. Haven't you done western plenty before? Just if you're jumping and cantering, I have the impression you're already quite solid in basics.

That slightly does concern me, though. I don't want to judge your experience, but I could canter and such fine in western, but when I switched to English I could barely trot at first. I'd get real solid at each step before moving on. If you're good in western, you should know what to do. There's a lot of parallel--lot of difference too. I'm not saying you NEED to take lessons, or you DONT need.

#18 ·
I ride everyday. lol. Well just about. And I have done so since I was little. There have been periods when I wouldn't ride for a few moths because I didn't have a horse, but I was allways at friends houses who had horses so I could ride them. I can ride and jump bareback and I have actually found it easier than riding in an english saddle lol.

#19 ·
I would consider going ahead and taking lessons! I love both English and Western riding but I have to say English felt alot different at first... Posting was a tricky thing for me when I first switched over...so splurging on a few lessons would definitely be worth it!

#21 · (Edited)
To ride properly, i.e.; quietly, with soft hands, a good seat, and using the correct leg and seat cues, requires finesse.

You cannot acquire the proper finesse without a professional trainer who is skilled in bringing along young or green riders. If you've never had a lesson I consider you a green rider no matter how well you think you ride.

The tack is not the only thing that makes each discipline different. There are cues and ways of riding that cannot be self taught, especially the more subtle things.

Anyone can buy English or Western tack and plop it on their horses, climb aboard, and hang on. That does not make one an accomplished rider by any stretch of the imagination.

The people who tell me they're self taught don't need to do so, because I can see it in the way they ride their horse. Ham fisted, legs swinging, arms flapping like a chicken, and balancing off the reins.

Anyone who wants to make sure their animal is enjoying the ride too, gets the proper training. After all, everything we do should be for their comfort, not ours. They're the ones hauling our butts around, so the right training is necessary to make sure they're not being abused, however unintentionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.