The Horse Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 10 yr old AQHA a month ago from a stable where I have taken some western lessons before. I know the owners children from high school. Well, it seems that as soon as they were paid for "what was owed on her past due boarding" the stable owners started wanting me to
use their tack, do this, etc. and seemed judgemental. I've ridden english
pleasure alot, and have ridden horses since I was a kid, but, I am getting
annoyed by some of their rules. Board is $450 for stall and pasture, they are open M-F 9-5, S&S 9-4, but are closed on Mondays, and seem to want you to be out by noon, and want to know when you are coming.
They want me to ride in the indoor (very hot) arena for what seems like a year to "bond," yet, they list that you can ride in the pasture or the outdoor arena, but, don't want to you to do so. It is much cooler outside!! Plus, they think that a horse turning it's head while you are tacking up the girth and biting at things during the process is "normal!"
Not in my eyes.
I found their property on the internet listed for sale, but, they don't have it posted on the property. Should I listen to my gutt and move, because they think they know everything after being in the horse business for over 40 yrs. They run a tight ship, but, dang, I am paying alot to be able to ride when I would like to!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would move as well, this place is clearly not suitable for you - or your horse if they're setting rules on his behaviour that aren't causing any danger.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
They may know a lot, but if the property is for sale they obviously want out of the business. I wouldn't hesitate to move.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Run away! You should not be told when you can see your horse and then what to do when you do see your horse. It sounds like there is some fishy stuff going on and they are taking advantage of you being a new horse owner. They aren't going to care when they suddenly have to tell you that the property is sold and you have to move by tomorrow. Find a place while you have the flexibility to do so, not when you are in a rush.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
I'd be out of there as soon as possible. Find a place where you can enjoy your horse with a lot more freedom.

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
It's your horse...move now. Those hours are ridiculous.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone for your advise and support! My thoughts exactly! One more thing, usually when someone buys a horse and keeps it at the seller's barn, the past owner should show the buyer how well the horse trailers, how they handle the horse, etc. She was professionally trained to be a cutting horse, but never shown. I'm going to seek somewhere else today!

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
One thing I found out 7 years ago as a first time horse owner, everybody will be offering you unsolicited advice on everything. Smile, thank them for their observations, and then go do what works for you and your new horse.

·
Registered
131 Posts
That sounds like just a crazy situation! Change can be hard but this sounds like it would be a definite change for the better. You should be able to enjoy time with your horse. I say move. :D

Reactions: Prunella1

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
That is ridiculous. I would have moved yesterday. I hope that isn't coming off as rude, but in all honesty if you are not happy there - move. It seems like that is what you are leaning toward anyhow. I can totally understand barn hours, but 4pm and wanting to know exactly when you are coming? Go to the barn when it suits you, not them.

I'm not sure where you are located, but I am positive you can find somewhere that better suits you/your horse's needs. Good luck!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is ridiculous. I would have moved yesterday. I hope that isn't coming off as rude, but in all honesty if you are not happy there - move. It seems like that is what you are leaning toward anyhow. I can totally understand barn hours, but 4pm and wanting to know exactly when you are coming? Go to the barn when it suits you, not them.

I'm not sure where you are located, but I am positive you can find somewhere that better suits you/your horse's needs. Good luck!

Thank you for your help. No, you were not rude at all, just expressing yourself as a horselover! Oh my, I visited a very secure, nice, calm, clean
stable today and I didn't have to mention any names and the barn manager said their name!!! Whew, boy was I happy to hear that I am not the only one who agrees with me. She said that she knew several people who left because of the same reasons. If I move, I'll have to pay $200 more a month, but, my gut is telling me that it would be a great move and she would be well taken care of there. I can handle the extra cost for my horse. PTL!! Yippee!
:)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you to each one of you who has given me helpful information, and agreed with me! I was able to visit a stable in a very secure neighborhood, where there are lots of stalls, pastures, different disciplines, care, etc. After speaking to the barn manager about my horse, she named the stable immediately because she knew several people who had moved their horses from there for the same reasons. The cost is more per month, but, well worth it for my and my horse's happiness.

I am so relieved to know that my gut feelings were right on, and will plan on moving my horse after I talk to the vet about all of my horses' vaccinations, etc. I am also glad that there is tight security at this upscale neighborhood, stable and they are open most all day, seven days a week. The atmosphere there was so peaceful, and there were owners, riders of all ages.

I am so thankful for the help and being able to seek information on this website! Yea HorseForum!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ohmy goodness....rode today and the bo and their family members were so laid back, calm. So, I asked the son about my horse's vaccinations, and he said the vet does them. So, after I got home, I called the vet's office and was told that I needed a release from the bo in order to get the records. Talked to the bo's wife and she said she had the coggins test results in my file, but didn't think my mare got her vaccinations this year - WHAT!!! Waiting to hear back from the vet to see if she has any records of my horse getting vaccinated this year. If not, it is going to cost me $103, plus the cost of floating her teeth, moving my horse, and new barn cost. Dang, makes me want to call the state vet since I was not given a negative coggins test when I bought her! Seems like they only vaccinate certain horses, and their horses!!!! RRGGHH. Ok, I'm trying to calm down.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Told the barn owner's wife that I will be moving my horse to a friend's place to help me work her since my ankle is still bothering me and it will be much cooler in their indoor arena. Just waiting to see if she received her vaccinations this year - ugh. So, may have to pay $120 for my mare's teeth to be floated, possibly $103 for vaccinations, moving expense, and new board fees!!! Dang, wish I had done some homework on these people! At least the bo and their family were chilled out today...big change over the weekend. :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great News!! My horse was moved today, and they didn't know what hit them. Had her vaccinations yesterday, and she did great. She seemed to relax after a while, and I feel so much better. Already had an offer from someone that the new bo knows who is looking for a working QH for their farm and may want to trade. Will know after some working with her at the new place what I am going to do. I feel that she is going to be a better horse for me at this new place already! Yea!! Plus, it is so much cooler inside their barn than the other one! Whew!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts