The Horse Forum banner

First time out on grass

994 Views 8 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Acadianartist
We let the horses out for the first time a couple of days ago. Only for 20 minutes, and only in a little area where there's almost no grass. Today, we'll open the back pasture and let them out for 40 minutes. Rusty thought it was the best day ever. Enjoy his shenanigans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
8,079 Posts
Oh, how I love to see happy horses. And Rusty isn't just happy, he's exuberant!

· Registered
13,084 Posts
How'd you like to be on Rusty's back about then?
I think all “for sale“ videos should look like this. I’d be after that horse in a skinny minute and not worry for two seconds he would get sold out from under me:rofl::rofl:

Reactions: Acadianartist

· Premium Member
10,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
How'd you like to be on Rusty's back about then?
Haha, NO THANKS! He is pretty careful with his humans though. Notice how he runs straight towards me, as I'm holding the camera in the middle of the pasture. He is totally focused on me the whole time, wanting to share his excitement. But I never, for one second felt he might hit me. He's really quite agile when he wants to be.

As for Rusty under saddle, he can certainly get excited on trails, but really isn't that into working hard for any amount of time, so while he has taken off at a gallop a few times, he always stops after a few strides. And in the arena, oy... you think he's going to fall over. I have legs of steel from making trot almost daily for about 20 minutes, and pushing as hard as I can for a few strides of a canter. I've just decided he's not into arena work. I still do it, because our trails are too muddy, and it's better than nothing, but he's much happier out and about, looking for adventures. Last night he was grunting and groaning in the arena after a little cantering and a bit of trotting, but then we opened the gate for a brief walk around the property and it was some kind of miracle how he high-stepped out of that gate. :Donkey::rofl:

He's an interesting horse, to be sure! Another one that is with me for life - with all his imperfections.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.