The Horse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ridden english for the entirety of my riding career, with only occasional "playdays" in western. I was offered and accepted a summer job guiding trail rides and helping with backcountry pack trips... and I wanted a pair of ****** for looks and also protection. Now as a college student I don't have hundreds to spend and as beautiful and durable as custom chaps may be, there is a real possibility that I will not use them after one or two summers of doing this job. So I bought a pair of the Tough1 chaps (please don't shun me).
They really aren't too bad, but the sizing was really weird. The waist was entirely too big... like at least 6 inches too big and these are a size Small. That was fixable with some hole punching, but now I am worried about if the thigh buckles fit correctly? Most pictures I see show the buckles wrapping all the way around the leg, but these don't. Is this still acceptable? I don't want to show up with ****** that don't even fit! :think: I also don't have an opportunity to ride in them, at the moment.
I added a picture - it's just slightly at an angle, but you can see how it is fitting. I welcome any other tips too!
Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I think those buckles are going to bother you when you ride. Especially if you ride long hours. My husband and daughter both have ****** and the end with the buckle is sewn over on the outside of the leg and is adjustable so the buckle is on the upside of the back of the leg (if that makes sense) in this picture the buckle is in the middle of the back of your leg- a part of your leg that may come in contact with your saddle and horse.

Our ****** both were custom made from an e-bay seller and for a couple of hundred bucks they are awesome and both pairs are a few years old now.

·
Registered
49,438 Posts
also , they look kind of tight on your thigh. Have you tried riding in them?

I guess you could have a leather worker switch out the buckling straps/buckles. PUt the buckle on the ChAP side, and the the strap on the other side that wraps around the thigh.
would be a lot of cutting of stitches, and resewing, making them nearly as expensive as custom. Or, could YOU do that?

I'm envious of your new job. I always wanted such a job, when I was younger and just daydreaming about horses.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Unfortunately you're you're seeing the effect of buying premade chaps, sorry. (No judgment, I understand you're trying to find something fast and within your budget!)
Like mentioned you switch what side your buckles are on or your inner thigh piece needs to be longer to wrap farther around to keep you from sitting on your buckles.

My husband has built quite a few pairs of ****** and he puts the buckles on the outside of the leg. That way if your thigh measurements are off you can just add or trim the straps and still make them work.

Before you go spending money modifying... are those real leather? If not send them back, they'll be miserable to ride in as well.
I'd see if you could track down some used ones to buy.

Reactions: bsms

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
The buckles should be more toward the outside of the leg so you don't sit on them when riding. I actually like the ones with the adjustable snaps like these: https://nrsworld.com/products/nrs-ranch-hand-brown-oiled-******

I'd recommend saving up for a decent pair ($250 - $350+) or go to your job and see if A.) you'll actually need/use them, or B.) if someone there has a pair they're selling or if there's a tack store where you can buy them. A cheap pair will bleed dye all over you when you sweat or it rains, and stink unbearably from badly-tanned leather. Good ****** that fit are worth saving up a bit for. Mine are 19 years old.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, everyone! That is a bummer. I guess I will be deciding what to do since, unfortunately, I can't return these. But I appreciate all of your tips and input! I probably should have considered coming here to ask questions before I started trying to dive in. :oops:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts