The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I eventually got around to trying my new hackamore on Alto, anyone want to help with fitting advice??

Is it still a fraction low?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have no experience with that style of hack, I use the longer shank braided nose. But from what I know about those, I would say I'd bring the nose strap up just a touch. The chin looks good, just make sure you can get at least two fingers in it when it's relaxed. I found with Hoover, once he got used to the hack, he barely needed the curb...it was basically just there to keep it on. I could get four fingers in it when I tacked him up...he was going off the nose pressure to halt.

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
I would raise it up a tad too. Because the lower down it sits on the nose, the thinner the and more fragile the bone and cartalidge (sp?) it is sitting on.

I know a lot of people like them kind of low, because it offers more control, but my horses are easy to control, so I try to think of their comfort and well-being too. :D

·
Registered
15,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
So I guess I'll have to take the hole punch with me today and take it up some. Then all that's left is to get brave and climb on there:oops:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.