The Horse Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm buying a new jumping saddle soon (literally as soon as I have my saddle fitter's ok for the one I have my eye on!) and I'm in a bit of a dilemma. 17" or 17.5"? 18 is definitely too big, 16.5 is definitely too small.

Pic 1 is the exact model I'm looking at, in a 17.5 - I used to own one yonks ago and sold it because it didn't really quite fit the little red horse and the horse it was bought for retired. I used to jump the big stuff in that saddle! Obviously I'm not a skinny lanky 17 year old anymore, so bear in mind I have more butt now!
Pic 2 is a very similar saddle in a 17, on my mare. Not quite exactly the same, but similar. It felt fine.
Pic 3 is a semi-recent photo of me in a different 17" which felt fine but looks awkward to me!

Edit: please don't critique the riding, I have a coach for that :)

Attachments

Super Moderator
Really need to see you seated and not in motion. The first looks way too big. Is that a recent picture? Considering you are saying size is only .5 difference it could be that you are rising and not in full contact as it is an in motion picture or that there are differences between the saddles since they are not the same. The second looks way too small but you could be sitting too far back for the same reason. Third looks perfect but again I am seeing a rise happening that could be giving the impression of better fit.

Registered
Ok, I know you said no critiquing the riding...but...I must say that third picture is fabulous!! You both look great and your horse is moving beautifully :smile:

The third saddle is the one I would pick. It looks like a perfect fit for both of you. Looks really nice!!

The second looks awkward and small, the first looks too big for both of you and not right on the cute little red horse either.

Go with the third saddle, in that size or can go up a half size for more thigh room if you feel you need it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The third saddle actually didn't fit the horse at all, per my saddle fitter - too narrow through the channel. The gullet was perfect, the balance was beautiful, the channel was too narrow and the horse was not happy.

First is not a recent picture, I sold that saddle years ago. Used to jump the big stuff in it, on my educated horse. Didn't fit the little red very well at all so when the educated horse retired I sold it. I was 17 or 18, I don't remember exactly, and I'm 25 now. I am significantly thicker thighed and bigger bootied than I was as a teen! I haven't gained any thigh length, but I have gained a fair bit of weight.

I do not have any stationary photos of me in any of the above saddles.

Registered
The third saddle actually didn't fit the horse at all, per my saddle fitter - too narrow through the channel. The gullet was perfect, the balance was beautiful, the channel was too narrow and the horse was not happy.

First is not a recent picture, I sold that saddle years ago. Used to jump the big stuff in it, on my educated horse. Didn't fit the little red very well at all so when the educated horse retired I sold it. I was 17 or 18, I don't remember exactly, and I'm 25 now. I am significantly thicker thighed and bigger bootied than I was as a teen! I haven't gained any thigh length, but I have gained a fair bit of weight.

Narrow channel is not good, no way to see that in a picture of a saddled horse...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Funny part is it wasn't THAT narrow as Kieffers' channels go, she's just got a broad spine. I'm not looking at anything with a less than 6cm (at the narrowest point) channel

Registered
Funny part is it wasn't THAT narrow as Kieffers' channels go, she's just got a broad spine. I'm not looking at anything with a less than 6cm (at the narrowest point) channel
It is a Kieffer? Oh no wonder I thought it looked so nice. Quality leather shows...I had my eye on a wide Kieffer many years ago, but never could find a way to buy it without my then spouse noticing the money gone :rofl:

PS - the reason I mentioned more thigh room in a bigger saddle is it gives more room for the rear to fit...

Super Moderator

That said about the first I would say that it would be a good fit now. Kind of reiterating on the rest. Middle would be a no for me and the last I looks like it could be a good fit as well.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it was LOVELY to ride in, I'm so sad the horse didn't like it! :( the people I sold it to love it though, and I got back what I paid for it, so I ended up breaking even.

Second saddle brand new is about $300 out of price range and horse didn't like it very much, first saddle brand new is within budget and even though it didn't fit that little red, the horse it was bought for was a very similar shape to my big girl, so it will most likely fit, with a little bit of help from my saddle fitter. Just need his okay. BUT, if second saddle is too small for me, first saddle in a 17" will be too. That half inch can make a big difference!

Registered
it was LOVELY to ride in, I'm so sad the horse didn't like it! :( the people I sold it to love it though, and I got back what I paid for it, so I ended up breaking even.

Second saddle brand new is about $300 out of price range and horse didn't like it very much, first saddle brand new is within budget and even though it didn't fit that little red, the horse it was bought for was a very similar shape to my big girl, so it will most likely fit, with a little bit of help from my saddle fitter. Just need his okay. BUT, if second saddle is too small for me, first saddle in a 17" will be too. That half inch can make a big difference!
That is so true! I can't understand how 1/2 inch can make such a big difference! I like a 17" best, but some saddles I used were 17.5 and seemed fine (especially if very deep) but an 18" feels HUGE :rofl:

PS doesn't "more thigh room" sound so much better than "my butt needs more room" :rofl:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PS doesn't "more thigh room" sound so much better than "my butt needs more room" :rofl:
Doesn't it just!

It greatly amuses me that my mother's 18" AP doesn't feel massive, and she's twice my weight. She has short thighs though

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
17.5 it is, then, which means I can't buy the one I found that the company will post to me :p and I'll have to order it in to my nearest tack store. But that's alright, I wasn't sure it was actually worth the price they were asking (second hand, only $30 cheaper than brand new after shipping)

Super Moderator
I absolutely would go with the 1st picture.... 17.5 size.
A 1/2" makes a big difference in cuts of panels, length of panels, and seat support incorporating all together.

You already said you were 17 in first photo, now older means often a thickening of our body as we mature.
Your leg may not be longer but "thicker" with your maturing this saddle will still work well for stability, support it shows it offered and to fit you very well...
That first saddle shows a balance for your body the others lack.

As long as this also fits the horse equally well...this is what I would purchase of the 3 you showed.
The other 2 saddles don't fit you well...they don't.
You're cramped, your leg is barely covered and you are fighting the seat as it isn't your bodies support places optimized.
1st saddle all the way...17.5 seat.

:runninghorse2:...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My fiance calls me dummy thicc hahah so there's a LOT more of me than there used to be! Still reasonably slim, I want to lose a little bit of weight but not heaps. But I've got some thigh and booty going on where I used to just be a twig.

My saddle fitter got back to me and it's a go! But none in stock at my local saddlery so I still have to be patient. Patience is hard!

Registered
OOH. just hearing that (that your fiance calls you dummy thic , whatever that means) irks me. Sorry, is that supposed to be a loving, sweet remark? You are so far from 'thick'.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Men of my generation use "dummy thicc" to describe any attractive woman with curves, no matter her actual size. And I definitely have some impressive curves now. I love my hips and thighs! I could do without the stretch marks, but oh well. My skin marks super easy. I got my first stretch marks when I was 12 and my hips started widening, and I was actually a little bit underweight then.

I think being irked by millennial slang is a generational thing ;P

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Or like being a fat bottomed girl - they had a whole song written about them!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts