The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Any suggestions on how to fit a horse that has a sway back? I am thinking a thick pad and a lollipop pad for english, but no idea on western.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Unless you can ride in a 13-14" western saddle, and find one with a SHORT round skirt, you're not likely going to find a saddle that fits.

English saddles might be okay. A friend with a sway backed horse had really good luck using a Skito Correction pad with a Wintec 500 AP saddle. They will custom build your pad with removeable shims based on photos of your horse.

If you want a more secure saddle to trail ride in, use the Skito pad with an Australian saddle.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm...that doesn't bode well... I ride in a 15 inch at the smallest for a western saddle, but prefer a 16. However, I do have an aussie saddle that I could try on him with the mattes pad I have.

I have a collegiate dressage and a collegiate cc, those are built is a similar fashion to the wintecs correct?

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
With the English saddle, it will just depends on how it fits him. The front should be the same angle as just behind his shoulder, or a tad wider. The back panels should be about the same shape as his back. You'll just need a good pad to fill in for the middle ;-).

For western, I just don't see you finding a saddle that will work with him, even with corrective padding. His back is just so SHORT, and coupled with the sway, it will make fitting a nightmare... The Aussie will be your best bet, if it's got the padded underside, similar to an English saddle.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Oh, and using a lolly pop pad or other pad that is just a "rear riser" will end up putting too much pressure on his shoulders, which can cause pinching and pain. You need a pad designed just for him, or for sway backed horses. It needs extra padding starting from behind the withers, getting thicker toward the middle, and tapering just a bit in the back.

·
Registered
13,661 Posts
He does not look that swayback to me, just very high withers.

What is the dimension as indicated on this pic?

A Western Saddle in a 16" Seat can be made as short as 24" for the Skirt Length, I cannot imagine them not fitting him, I have fit smaller and shorter Horse than yours :)

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, so I am liking the idea of the wintec and a skito pad.

"SHIM - SHIM SYSTEM - SKITO SHIM SYSTEM" These are the same pads right? If so, which one would I need?

For a wintec, from what I have read the ones with the cair panels seem to work the best. Is that what your friend uses?

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Okay, so I am liking the idea of the wintec and a skito pad.

"SHIM - SHIM SYSTEM - SKITO SHIM SYSTEM" These are the same pads right? If so, which one would I need?

For a wintec, from what I have read the ones with the cair panels seem to work the best. Is that what your friend uses?
I have had bad luck with the bridge pads. They're basically the shims from the correction pad I posted, but encased in lycra. They leave a bit of a ridge at the edge of the pad, which can bother some horses. In the correction pad, the shims are more tapered and with a piece of foam that goes the whole length of the saddle, so you don't have any ridges or edges to bother the horse.

The correction pad is Arete's concoction. It's the Skito Interpad with shims added to it, but custom made based on photos of your horse.

The pad you need depends on the saddle. If you get a Wintec and fit it with a gullet that's just a hair wide for the horse, then I'd go with the Interpad with 3/4" foam and either a 3/4" long center shim or 3/4" full rear lift shim, depending on how the saddle sat on the horse. If it sits low in back, then the full rear shim. If it sits relatively evenly, with just a hollow under the saddle, then the center shim.

If you can find a western saddle with really short skirts and a lot of "rock" to the tree, it might work. But really, I wouldn't try to find one used. Just talk to Kevin and see if he can custom build you one of his. It will save you a lot of aggrivation and money in the long run ;-).

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
We bought a sway back pad for our older gelding. We ride western and found the Reinsman sway back pad that is built up to fill the "hollow" between withers and rear end. It was about $120, but also has the "rubber" backing to keep the pad from slipping. We had alot of problems keeping a saddle on him with out slipping and once we bought this pad, there were no more problems. My hubby took Speed and the new pad hunting in very up and down terrain and the saddle or pad never slipped at all, his back was not sore and was perfect. I would highly recommend these pads for using under a western saddle.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't think I am going to bother finding a western saddle since I plan to do all dressage with him. However, I tried my aussie saddle that I have been trying to sell and it fits him really well, ample clearance of his withers and wasn't rocking. Just need to get a pad to keep it from bridging, which it actually didn't feel like it was doing terribly.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Picture of him today standing on flat ground.

·
Banned
593 Posts
aw hes so cute. i know this is off topic , but how do young horses get that? i know a lot of old old school masters get that from the constant work or neglect. How old is he?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He is 15 and falls into the schoolmaster category. Thankfully he shows no signs of pain through his back, withers, or loins (I have been paranoid and checking carefully before and after every ride) or any signs of wanting to slow down. Hope to do dressage with him this (quickly) coming year.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They were using a lollipop pad when going english and just an extra thick pad when riding western. He has old white hairs on his withers though so it was obviously not fitting right.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am not having much luck with working with a saddle fitter. She is recommending a saddle that is way out of my price range.

What about a county or a passier? Those were recommended to me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.