The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a TWH that toes out on the front. Not *terribly*, but enough I think it interferes with her movement. I have only had her 6 months. She was horribly shod and very long toe when I got her. My farrier removed the shoes and is in the process of trimming her back slowly to a decent hoof shape. When he was here last time he mentioned that he was hoping by spring he would have her better balanced so she would not be so *splayed*. Things were happening when he was talking, and I heard him, but didn't really process the comment until later lying in bed. Is this truly possible? Can you correct a moderate *toe out* through the trimming process? Eventually, I would like to get her boots because we sometimes ride really rocky stuff. I think boots would work better if she wasn't so splayed.

If anyone is knowledgeable about this, please enlighten me. She's a good horse and I would like her to move better. She doesn't have the best conformation so I know there's only so much to be done, but if she was less toed out I think she would move better.

·
Registered
10,599 Posts
Most Tennessee Walkers are splay-footed by birth, some more than others - all four of mine were or are to one degree or another. It did not interfere with their movements, and the on,y time anyone stumbled was when they were nearing their trim or shoe reset time:)

The farrier should not try to “fix” splay-footedness.

The part about slowly trimming to correct the long toes is great.

The part about “having her better balanced so she isn’t so splayed” is not great. I would ask for a detailed explanation.

How old is the mare? If she is two years or older, your farrier does not need to get fancy in attempting to re shape her hooves. The bones’ growth plates can develop abnormally and lead to angular limb deformities. Once the growth plates are closed (finished growing), there is very little change or correction that can be done—at least in a conservative fashion.

If she is severely splay-footed, I would carry her to a lameness vet for x-rays to include legs and hooves) and an evaluation. The farrier can then add to his education and trim the horse according to what the lameness vet feels is best.

Can you post pictures of her hooves and her legs?

Stand her on a mat, cement, or a piece of ply board so the hooves are completely visible in a good light.

When you do the front view, be sure she is standing square on the front:)

·
Premium Member
23,918 Posts
If the horse 'toes out' to me that means they're turned out, be it at the fetlock, knee, whole leg... It is not a trimming thing. May be an unchangeable 'conformation' or limb deformity, may be that she's 'tight' through her elbows & shoulders, something is 'out' that maybe a couple of bodywork 'adjustments' can fix.

But 'splayed' to me means flared - if the horse's hoof wall is flared, that can/should absolutely be corrected with trimming. And if hoof balance - wall length *in relation to sole plane* is uneven, then that will contribute to stresses of imbalance. *Still may be that some structural imbalance means they 'need' extra or less on one side - we're not all made perfectly symmetrical - but generally the sole plane is a good judge of that.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will try to get pictures later. We are gearing up for a major snowstorm, so I haven't been able to mess with her.

While she toes out for sure, her feet are like pancakes and were horribly flared - like really wide and growing over the shoes when I got her. That is what I meant by splayed - she seems to pronate. I am not sure if that is conformation or just bad flares and years of poor shoeing. She is 9. She didn't move well at all when I got her and it was hard to keep her in gait as she tripped a lot. But she definitely is toed out, but it almost seems worse because of her flat, pancake feet.

·
Registered
10,599 Posts
Good thoughts coming your way - Stay safe during the storm:):)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts