The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a really quick run-down on Kenzie for anyone who isn't familiar with her, she's a brand-new (mid October) two year old TB filly who has had a lot of health problems in the past. However I don't think any of that is relevant to the problem she has right now so I'm not going to go into all of that unless someone has a specific question.

Relevant information is that she's currently eating second cutting Jiggs Costal Hay, ad lib. She eats something between 15 and 20 lbs a day. She also gets 2 1/2 lbs of Safe Choice Special Care, 2 oz. of Sho Glo, 3/4 lb of rice bran, and 6 lbs of alfalfa pellets a day. She's also on probiotics off and on.

The problem I'm seeing is that she has EXTREME flaky skin on her neck. The rest of her body is super shiny and healthy, but her neck is dull and if I scratch her neck the dandruff comes to the surface and gets disgusting. Its nowhere else.

Some spots on her neck are also getting this buildup of the dead skin that looks like a scab, but when it comes off its just dead white skin and it leaves fresh 'healthy' skin under. This has been in 2 or 3 spots. I thought they were unrelated and she had just been her clutzy self and it was a scab from a cut or something, but they're not. They're just the death buildup.

I thought it could be lice because she had them early this year when I was first rehabbing her, but I've looked all over and don't see any eggs or lice in her forelock, on her legs, in her tail, on her dock, or in her mane. If you guys think its worthwhile to try though, I have some lice powder left that worked last time to treat her with.

What do you think it is? Should I be really concerned? I thought I had her on a good diet but maybe I'm missing something...but if that's it, why is she only flaky on her neck and really healthy looking everywhere else?

This all showed up when she started getting her winter coat.

She has a vet visit to have her teeth floated on Friday and I plan on asking about it then, but I figured I would get all of y'alls opinions while I'm waiting.

·
Registered
416 Posts
My mare Vana has it as well, but I have not found evidence of lice. I used a listerine bath to kill any bacteria. Just watered it down and sponged it on her (she hates water, so I had fun). I did not rinse it off.

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds like a good idea! What ratio did you water it down to?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Approximately 1:3 ratio. We have used it on dogs for hot spots. I also alternate with children's sunscreen, spf 50+, waterproof, to act as a moisturizer (also because she is very pink skinned being a paint). I am going out to see the horses tonight, so I will see if I can get there early enough to take some pictures of it.

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, that would be helpful so I know if we're dealing with the same thing or not! Does the Listerine seem to help?

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
I think this is a fairly normal thing for some horses. The skin is flakey on her neck because that is where she can scratch easily.

The Listerine sounds like a good idea. Two of mine are dealing with rain rot already....

Nancy

·
Registered
416 Posts
It does seem to take some of the itch away (plus is a bacteria killer, so...). I have not seen much of a difference yet, but I cannot get out there every day to do this. I think it is more of a seasonal thing down here, since it appears I have another mare with it. I think they are scratching themselves on their shed, and we are back to having dryer weather.As you can see by the pictures, she is not losing hair where she has the flaky skin.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is EXACTLY what Kenzie's skin is like. Well I'm glad its not a "OMG MY HORSE HAS A WEIRD DISEASE" thing, and its common-ish... Sour gets the same thing occasionally but not as bad.

It doesn't seem to bother her a whole lot, so I guess I'll just have the vet take a peek on Friday and do the listerine. I did it today (she was NOT happy about it. She thinks it smells awful) so hopefully if it is irritating her the listerine will help a little. Maybe I should rub some lotion in her neck or something too?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Believe me, I spent hours scouring the net about skin diseases, and contagions, etc. lol... I think I read that cortizone creams will help too. I use the children's sunscreen since I don't want the new skin to burn (we are still having 80 degree temps).

·
Registered
561 Posts
With her being so young I'm not sure if this applies to you, but... My mare had this, but once her winter coat shed out. It ended up being a latex allergy and the irritation was from the rubber reins. It was wierd becasue I had used rubber reins over the winter with no problem but as soon as the weather changed she got irritated. It happened again this fall, but with gloves used for giving a shot and she is starting to grow a fuzzy coat. It seems like some things trigger it and others don't. Has anything rubber touched her neck at all? Maybe a curry would even do it- I'm not sure. I used Eucerin cream every day and rinsed the area with Listerine/water. The scabby dandruff stuff went away in less than a week and the hair grew back shortly after.

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's so crazy! No, Kenzie hasn't been around any rubber that I know of... her halter is yacht rope and she doesn't wear any other tack yet. And I only have a dandy brush and a hard brush for her.

One link that I found to a person with a horse that had the same symptoms and even had a skin biopsy done to find what it was swore that it was alfalfa doing it to her horse. Kenzie eats alfalfa, but she's been eating it since the day I got her, which was almost a year ago. Maybe its a seasonal allergy to alfalfa like your horse's allergy to rubber? I guess I could try to take her off of it but I kind of hate to do that...she's doing really well on the feed regime she's on right now and she's a pretty hard keeper.

·
Registered
416 Posts
And mine are on coastal bermuda (since alfalfa is higher here). She was starting to get it on the wheat hay as well. And she is not ridden, so the reins are not an option here.

·
Registered
348 Posts
wow! older thread but I'm so excited to see this! my gelding gets the SAME thing, his is only in the late fall-spring (when hes all fuzzy) but his is right behind his front legs, right in front of his girth area...i was told by ppl on the forum that it was Girth Gall but I knew it wasnt because I only ride him twice a month and as soon as the winter coat comes in...the scabby dandruff appears even if i dont put a girth on him (dont ride or ride bareback)...so I'm no closer to knowing what it is...but like you guys...i am now assured that my baby doesn't have some weird off the wall fungal disease lol
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Crazy isn't it Charlene?

I actually found something that helps. It doesn't 'cure' it but it does manage it very well. Plain old MTG. I tried the lysterine and it didn't do anything, but I bought a bottle of MTG and poured it liberally all over her affected skin, rubbed it in, and left it alone for three days. Checked it again, and the dead skin had 'gummed up' and sloughed off to give way to perfectly healthy, normal skin and soft fur. No hair loss from the sloughed off skin, unlike when it is peeled off when dry. I been applied it in the areas that got scabby/flaky once a week after that and I haven't seen any more bad spots. Makes the skin a little oily to look at, but it seems to make it feel better...and look better too!

Reactions: Foxtail Ranch
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.