The Horse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As Spring is starting to come my way the flies and other bugs are starting to come out. Has anyone used Fly Predator? If you have what did you like/dislike about it? Thank you and happy riding!

·
Registered
691 Posts
A lot of people love fly predators. I, on the other hand, think they are a very successful marketing scheme. They will tell you right in the brochure, that in order to be successful, you must pick up and remove manure. AND, you must campaign throughout your neighborhood to get your neighbors to do the same (particularly buying fly predators). So, you're doing the work of removing the manure and the fly predators get the credit. University studies on fly predators by themselves have not been impressive.

My belief is that the smell of the manure attracts the adult flies from as much as a mile away. So if you've got a bunch of manure stinking up the place, you'll have flies, predators or not. If your neighbors have flies, you will have flies and will have wasted your money on the predators.

My most fly-free years are those that I pick up all the poop and spread it in an idle pasture.

·
Registered
10,567 Posts
Agree with @dogpatch .

You also can’t use any sort of fly spray or weed killer in the area where the fly predators are, or you risk killing them.

Reactions: BethR

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My mare is in pasture 24/7 with a run in shed, so she does have manure just about everywhere. Curious if anyone has ever used it? You don't have to campaign it either.

·
Super Moderator
14,708 Posts
Try dragging your pasture weekly to break up the manure piles and bet much of your fly issues disappear too.
Fly predators are fine providing no one uses insecticide anywhere near them including horse fly spray..lawn insecticide killer programs or include your neighbors to what you can, can't and need to do....
Its also not a one and done, but you keep buying them and reinforcing the area with new predators = not cheap!

Why not consider bats.......
Build some bat houses and let the bats come do the work...and they cost nothing except some old lumber and a bit of your time to make and erect a bat house.

Friends have bats...they have no flies, no mosquitos...in fact all the times I've been their think I've never seen anything flying in their yard/pasture.
They have 8 horses and about a dozen cattle.
However, the neighbors have 150 head of cattle, they are surrounded by horses kept on neighboring property {not always the cleanest} and swampy land...no bugs!
I take that back...one of the neighbors has honey bees and they indeed make delicious honey. :)
🐴...

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
I never use insecticide and never would for any reason short of life-threatening, and none of my neighbors have livestock. I do drag my pastures and I do pick my stalls and pens twice a day. I've used Spalding fly predator wasps for five years now, and many people remark on how fly-free my barn is. Including people who practice good barn hygiene at home but do not use the wasps.

That said, you have to understand parasitic wasps are host-specific, and only affect filth flies (face flies, house flies). They won't have any effect on tabanid bloodsucking flies like deer flies and horse flies. Or mosquitos.

For mosquitos, a body wipe or spray is effective. For deer flies, nothing but fly masks and fly sheets seem to work at all. My horses spend the daylight hours of deer fly season in the dark of the barn standing in front of the fans, and only come out at night to graze.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Have to keep manure picked up daily. I've reduced fly population by keeping corrals clean of manure. Keep pasture dragged. We have a guy who hauls away the manure.

Had no success with fly predators but have neighbors who also have horses. An neighbor who has cows an goats. Talking them into buying fly predators isn't going to happen.

I did the fly predators for 2 1/2 years cost a lot for little effect. I've had better success with manure removal and using fly traps an fly bait.

Bats are great but seems there aren't as many, and they pose a rabies threat. We've had 8 bats that had rabies they were sent to be tested. So I don't encourage bats ,we have devices that keep them out of our buildings. See a few every now an then flying around yard light at night.

But because of the rabid bats and skunks I have to vaccinate for rabies both horses. We trap an kill skunks as do our neighbors.

·
Super Moderator
26,877 Posts
If you live near the water then i don't think it really matters a bunch what you do. I live along the river and do the feed fly repellent, permatreat, and the predators. I don't know if the predators work or not to tell you the truth...

I am tempted to get guineas to help keep the fleas down as well. I'm not sure if I can keep them alive though. I may do it anyway. They arne't expensive so if they live... then it's a win. I just have to build a place for them to sleep at night.

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
I am tempted to get guineas to help keep the fleas down as well. I'm not sure if I can keep them alive though. I may do it anyway. They arne't expensive so if they live... then it's a win. I just have to build a place for them to sleep at night.
Guineas are aces on ticks, so I've heard. Keeping them around is not easy. You can build a safe place for them to sleep but that's no guarantee they'll use it. They have the world's most annoying repertoire of sounds, too. Except maybe peacocks.

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
I used the fly predators for a couple of years at our last place. Despite the neighbors on one side with a few sheep and a pony and the other side being a ranch headquarters with a large set of corrals that may have cows in them at any point, I noticed a difference in using them but it didn't eliminate the problem completely.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I tried them one summer and they didn’t seem to make a difference to me. ALL of Angelina’s manure goes into the compost daily; I clean her lean -to twice daily and her pasture daily. I distributed the fly predictors on the compost pile as directed and as I said, really didn’t see a difference.
I do hang fly strips in the lean-to and use fly spray twice a day in summer, plus Swat to deter gnats on her midline.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts