The Horse Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So at the minute Roley is really struggling with flies. There everywhere. We can't seem to find a spray that works, I'm going to try and research about fly sprays that might work. Any suggestions for in mean time he wears necked fly rug and occasionally fly mask (but tends to lose it in field). Any good fly sprays out there?

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I (also uk based) use deosect as recommended to me by our RVC vet and on here - you have to dilute it and essentially "bathe" them in it. It's quite strong and not something you should be doing even weekly. You HAVE to wear gloves and do no get it in your eyes! Do a test patch the day before and make sure to avoid their eyes and sensitive areas etc. It really gives me a bad chemical burn if I get on me. But my horse who is unclipped and thick skinned has no reaction. Some come out in hives and can't deal with it so be aware. But I've found it really depends on the horse. If it rains or she has a bath then it needs re-doing, I might use a slightly weaker solution if it's too close. I found that normal fly sprays need daily appliance sometimes even twice o.o. Deosect definitely seems to do it's job better and longer from what I've observed. Other things that I found helped was good poop and field management. It's no surprise the yard where the field isn't poo picked at ALL has the worst fly swarms I've ever seen to the point of stressing the horses out badly made worse by the fact that they don't even rotate fields ;/ The yard where staff poo picked ALL EIGHT fields daily had very little issues with flies at all.

edit: I also try to not use scented shampoos or conditioners or if I do I try to let them roll it out as well. Unsure if this specifically helps but I do it anyway!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. We are at a lovely DIY livery yard where he has two of his own fields and we poo pick every day. Luckily after tomorrow it is apparently set to get cooler so flies might die down but we'll see how it goes thanks for help again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Feed thru fly control works wonders. I used to work at the SPCA and we took in neglected horses in addition to the other animals. Flies were awful when I started, in all the buildings etc. I used the feed thru at my house and flies were almost non existent after I started using it. I got them to try the product (11 cents per day per horse) and within 2-3 weeks flies were almost totally gone. I know the neighbors loved it! When the horse manager went on vacation for 3 weeks the staff quit feeding the product and within about 10 days we were back to flies everywhere. When Kaycie returned and put everyone back on feed thru, within 2 weeks we were back to almost fly free. The product we used contained dimilin, which halts the development of the larvae in the manure. It also does not affect earthworms as they do not have the hard body shell. Just a thought.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We just get the usual house flies but they are horrible roley hates them they bother him in a fly rug and mask. Imagine if people invented a fly spray that actually worked! It would be a dream come true!

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Only thing that works for me on house flies (non-biting) is obsessive sanitation and regular release of parasitic wasps which attack fly larvae. You may not be able to get them in the UK but they are very popular and effective here. Fly masks and fly sheets with necks bring a lot of comfort to the horses.

Nothing works on the biting flies, ugh. I hate them, my horse hates them. We hate them!!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Flies. The bane of my existence...

I've yet to find a good spray. At this point, I'm almost tired of trying since they don't seem to be making any difference! I do however, have quite a few fly traps set up across the farm. They work pretty well on the non-biting flies but I've yet to find a way to keep the biters away. I currently have fly sheets coming in the mail as well as a feed-through supplement.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Some people feed their horses a supplement with garlic in it that supposedly helps ward off the bugs. I can't say it does much but make them smell like sweaty sausage. 😁

The barn I ride at has yet to find an adequate solution for the biting flies. They are nasty and bite right through even clothing. (I was bit several times doing night feed last night).

On the trail or in the ring, my trainer uses a combo of dish detergent and vinegar that seems to work really well - even better than commercial spray. (At least, Toby doesn't act so miserable with that vs. commercial sprays).

I put one of those stretchy citronella bracelets on his bridle recently and it worked well, but the other horses tried to eat the one I was actually wearing. So that's a draw.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Been using fly traps and fly sticky tape,plus removing manure from corrals. It's then hauled off the property. Fly population has been reduced to almost no flys. Deer flies and horse flies are the biggest issue right now. Been doing above for going on 3 weeks huge improvement in that time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I find that the Pryanha Nulli Fly and the Pyranha Wipe N Spray (yellow kind) work wonders!! The Nulli Fly is wayyy cheaper than the Wipe N Spray!

·
Registered
17,176 Posts
To prevent the stomping, I'd get a pair of fly boots. My mare is SUPER sensitive to flies...I prefer the Cashel leg guards. They work really well, hold up & are breathable. :)

You might want to get a fly mask that has overlocking velcro closures or something. They tend to last longer/don't come right off.

Fly spray...I use Farnam Endure Sweat-resistant fly spray, only one that actually seems to work for my mare. It lasts awhile too. I also use SWAT on her ears/legs/etc. for extra protection.

Otherwise, try getting some fly traps they can help too.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Feed thru fly control works wonders. I used to work at the SPCA and we took in neglected horses in addition to the other animals. Flies were awful when I started, in all the buildings etc. I used the feed thru at my house and flies were almost non existent after I started using it. I got them to try the product (11 cents per day per horse) and within 2-3 weeks flies were almost totally gone. I know the neighbors loved it! When the horse manager went on vacation for 3 weeks the staff quit feeding the product and within about 10 days we were back to flies everywhere. When Kaycie returned and put everyone back on feed thru, within 2 weeks we were back to almost fly free. The product we used contained dimilin, which halts the development of the larvae in the manure. It also does not affect earthworms as they do not have the hard body shell. Just a thought.

I'm glad you mentioned this. I use TriTec14 on our horses, but I'm losing the battle with black cattle flies. They. are. everywhere. this year. No big horseflies, no deer flies... but swarms of cattle flies. *looking at you, Husband's Cows*

They're eating our horses alive and IDK how much TriTec and Time I've burned. I've been wanting to try the feed through.

·
Registered
320 Posts
We have zero flies here now. No house flies no deer flies or any other type. Just the white ones. Ok it’s winter lol

In the summer they’re awful. We get rid of house flies with pop bottle traps. Cut the top of it off, invert and make holes to hold it together and be able to hang up in the tree. Put a few small frozen fish in there and add a tad of water. Once it starts to rot, the flies swarm the trap and are caught inside. Once full, replace the traps. We have really taken down the fly population down to where at least it’s bearable. It doesn’t help that our next door neighbor has a ton of cattle and horses and manure is everywhere and we’re downwind from them.

The deer flies, love swampy areas, there’s a trap called horse pal. And it’s supposed to work well. I really don’t want to spend a ton of money on one of those, and have been trying to replicate it. So far not very successfully. But will try again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just a thought, they do make a feed thru for cattle also. I think a person must address all the sources and ALL the poop on the property.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts