The Horse Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so sick of flies. I had hoped this year I would skate by and not have a fly related illness. No such luck. mare ended up with pigeon fever/dryland distemper. Edema on belly and chest, which some spots are soft and one area has ruptured and is now draining. I use feed through fly control, fly spray , and we haul the manure off . It is just frustrating.
We had cases of this many years ago , and we removed some soil and replaced the soil. Last year we had habromenas from flies. I sure miss the old fly sprays that actually would kill flies , but those have been banned from my state for many years .

Banned
That sounds so horrible! I'm so sorry to hear that!
Flies are EVERYWHERE, at the barn, in the house and in the bathroom (lol). Have you tried blankets and fly boots? you can also apply swat to areas that are more prone to flies on the horse.

Best,
Emily 馃

Banned
Try this:
Make fly traps. Cut 2 liter soda bottles half into. Flip top upside down so it's a funnel. Poke four holes near top, hang with string, wire, etc. Mix sugar dark soda and some beer.
If using high fructose dark soda...add some real sugar. About 12 ounces each bottle, enough so they drown but can't get out.
Hang them around. May want to put some flys in at first to start the party.
Line art Drinkware Tableware

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

Banned
Another thing I heard someone say to do was get a large plastic bag and throw some pennies in it and hang it where the flies are very attracted too. I'm not sure if this works, flies are very sensitive when it comes to light so because of the "shine" the pennies give off in the water it scares the flies away because they're unable to see.
If your horse is in the stall I would add a fan that will blow onto her, I had the same issue where the flies would irritate mine a lot so I added the fan and I haven't applied fly spray ever since.

Best,
Emily 馃

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another thing I heard someone say to do was get a large plastic bag and throw some pennies in it and hang it where the flies are very attracted too. I'm not sure if this works, flies are very sensitive when it comes to light so because of the "shine" the pennies give off in the water it scares the flies away because they're unable to see.
If your horse is in the stall I would add a fan that will blow onto her, I had the same issue where the flies would irritate mine a lot so I added the fan and I haven't applied fly spray ever since.

Best,
Emily 馃
I actually tried that. It did not work. I have open stall mare motel type pens. I also do not recommend fans for barns. They can cause fires.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Best,
Emily 馃
Oh I have fly traps out. They have just been horrendous the last couple of years. The feed through has decreased the number of flys but no eliminated them. I have also gotten fly predators in the past, but did not notice a decrease.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That sounds so horrible! I'm so sorry to hear that!
Flies are EVERYWHERE, at the barn, in the house and in the bathroom (lol). Have you tried blankets and fly boots? you can also apply swat to areas that are more prone to flies on the horse.

Best,
Emily 馃
Fly sheets end up ripped half off. I have used swat. The Vet said today that there are quite a few cases around this year. If we ever got an actual winter it would help. lol

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fly sheets end up ripped half off. I have used swat. The Vet said today that there are quite a few cases around this year. If we ever got an actual winter it would help. lol
I said the part about winter. not the Vet. lol

Registered
That sounds miserable. :( My mare is super sensitive to flies too (not to that extreme, she's never had illnesses so they aren't THAT bad here, but they can get bad) but still, they are a pain. Not sure what kind of fly spray you use, but the only kind that works for my mare is Farnam Endure Sweat-resistant. I hope you do get some kind of winter, because this late in the season they should be gone! Ugh.

Fly boots (Cashel is my favorite brand, they last awhile) are a good idea too. So sorry to hear this! I'm sure you've tried fly masks too.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dryland distemper is carried by flies. Some people call it ******* strangle or pigeon fever. It is very common in areas that get hot and dry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts