The Horse Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
This has probably been asked 1,000s of times, but what’s y’all’s best solution for small, thin forelocks? My TWH’s mane and tail have always been pretty nice for having little to no maintenance to keep it long other than brushing it, but her forelock is just plain sad! It used to be a few inches longer about two winters ago, but it’s thinned out. I don’t think TWH generally have super long forelocks, but worth a shot at growing it out..
Any thoughts?
Horse Sky Plant Eye Working animal

·
Super Moderator
27,073 Posts
I've read the reviews on the biomane supplement and they are really good. I did try it but only for a month and can't say if it worked. I give mine show glow (It's not that expensive). I think it works though. I also use Manely Long Hair products (It's like cowboy magic but a little thicker). I put that on every few days and I think it makes a difference as well. I would not braid the forelock - just try to keep it untangled and see what happens....

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've read the reviews on the biomane supplement and they are really good. I did try it but only for a month and can't say if it worked. I give mine show glow (It's not that expensive). I think it works though. I also use Manely Long Hair products (It's like cowboy magic but a little thicker). I put that on every few days and I think it makes a difference as well. I would not braid the forelock - just try to keep it untangled and see what happens....
I started using Omega Horseshine a few months ago (but she’s always been on a flax based coat supplement), and I’ve noticed her coat glows even when she’s filthy. She’s also on showglo, though not for too long. I’ll definitely take a look at Manely’s products !

·
Administrator
36,324 Posts
I wish I could find something!

I have two horses with pathetic forelocks.

They both have good thick manes and tails and healthy coats but wispy forelocks that never seem to grow.

Neither appear to rub that area .

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi all
This has probably been asked 1,000s of times, but what’s y’all’s best solution for small, thin forelocks? My TWH’s mane and tail have always been pretty nice for having little to no maintenance to keep it long other than brushing it, but her forelock is just plain sad! It used to be a few inches longer about two winters ago, but it’s thinned out. I don’t think TWH generally have super long forelocks, but worth a shot at growing it out..
Any thoughts? View attachment 1117776
Also, I have use MTG, just never could use it regularly since it’s so hot all the time! Wayyy too hot

·
Super Moderator
13,086 Posts
Genes. It's all I the genes. They have pattern growth just like humans. If the horse doesn't have the hair there and it isn't from it being rubbed or pulled out you ate not going to magically add hair follicles by applying product of any kind.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Genes. It's all I the genes. They have pattern growth just like humans. If the horse doesn't have the hair there and it isn't from it being rubbed or pulled out you ate not going to magically add hair follicles by applying product of any kind.
Agree with QtrBel. Angelina had a thick, wavy mane but very little in the way of forelock-age. I tried MTG on it, which usually works great, but …nuthin’. I loved her as is 🙂

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,266 Posts
Oh man. I feel this. My horse has a so-so tail, a decent mane for the top 2/3 before it peters out towards her withers... and this SAD little forelock!! I apply a ton of detangler to it every few days, to help keep it from rubbing out in various ways, but I just can't win. It's bad to begin with, but she's out on a round bale for much of the year, and loves to shove her whole head in, so that wrecks it. She has been out on pasture this summer, which would be better except... her fly mask rubs it out. And when her fly mask was repeatedly forgotten, when one of the helpers at the barn was doing turnout in the mornings, she got a horribly cluster of horsefly bites... right at the base of her forelock. And then lost about another 30% of it from rubbing. I could scream.

Here's the doofy little wispy thing, bottom half all rubbed out, and mashed into an awkward centre-part from her fly mask. Sigh.

Horse Sky Cloud Plant Working animal

·
Super Moderator
10,238 Posts
Mine has a great mane and a thin forelock, too. It's usually sticking straight up. I used to think it would be better if he'd quit nosing around in the under growth. But that's just a dream.

Good luck.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Qtrbel is right, it's all in the genes. Some horses have very long forelocks, others have next to none.
One of my most favorite broodmares has next to nothing. But, it fit her.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts