The Horse Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Here's some new tack for Chinga!!!

Sorry, trying for a little levity in what must be a horrible situation. I hope you don't have to evacuate and all goes well for you and Chinga. My thoughts and prayers are with you!!
Allison, only issue with your plan...
Chinga's scared of puddles.. :lol:

Not anymore I guess.

·
Registered
17,077 Posts
Any luck moving them???

That's a crazy picture! It's like you have a lake in your backyard!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I dont know if yall know about the flooding in Vermont after hurricane Irene, and it was really bad, houses were ripped from their foundations and brought down stream! It was horrific.

Reactions: Almond Joy

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
I think your mistaken...thats not a paddock. Thats a lake!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
I do, I do!

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I'm not sure if I got any good ones! The threat is over though - so we took the water to our advantage and played in it :D

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
PICTURES STOP TEASING PLEASE:)

How warm is it down there? I'd go swimming:D

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Mango, do you have facebook! PM me, and I'll add you so you can see them.

We did go swimming in it. Was pretty gross - but fun!!

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
How scary, lets hope for no repeat of last years QLD floods :/

Someone asked about the drought - we were in a severe drought for a number of years. A little background, basically most of the eastern states, and south australia, rely on the Murray River for water. Most of the farmer's irrigate from it, most of the suburban areas use it for household and industry water. By the time it gets to South Australia, only the salty 'hard' water is left and not much of it. I, unfortunately, am in South Australia, the 'sewer' of the Murray River. So during that drought, we were getting VERY nervous. The government spent an astronomical amount of money installing a desalination plant by the ocean, we had to wash our cars with a single bucket of water, gardens could only be watered with a watering can and water prices went through the roof. It was quite a nervous wait for the drought to break thats for sure.

During the drought, there were absolutely horrendous bushfires in one of the eastern states of Australia, many people were killed, whole towns burnt to the ground all across the state. It was terrible, terrible terrible terrible.

Then last year, the drought well and truly broke. Poor Queensland got absolutely hammered with rain. They had a 'freak' flooding event. Many towns were washed away, even Brisbane, the capital city, was under water. Whole roads were picked up and moved by the water, huge buildings, fences etc. In one town, a literal 'tidal wave' of water move through and demolished the town, killing numerous occupants.
So many lives were lost. Many videos came out of livestock and native animals trying to survive. One such video showed a cow, swimming towards a house and standing on the roof to get out of the water, it was THAT deep.
Many horses and cattle were swimming for hours upon hours, in floodwaters brimming with debris - horrific injuries were incurred as a result, and many more deaths.
Shortly after the waters started to recede, I tropical cyclone warning was issued and it was predicted to be one of the most destructive cyclones that Australia had ever experienced. Thankfully it lost power as it reached the shallow waters, though was still very destructive when it hit shore.

Australia, a land of ever changing weather!!!

21 - 40 of 42 Posts