The Horse Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says.....

The flies are driving my gelding nuts... I don't like the idea of spraying down there with fly repellent. He is constantly asking me to scratch him and even cocks his leg out, kinda like a dog begging for a belly rub.

What are the secrets everyone uses?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
SWAT! We glob it on when the flys are eating at them pretty bad....around the eyes, in the ears, nose, chest, sheath, teats, ect. Works wonders! And we live on the river so bugs are TERRIBLE.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I spray my guy's whole undercarriage with flyspray daily. It's either that or he gets skin infections from the bites. It's not like you're really spraying anything that might get irritated so long as he's not let down when you do it.

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
Yeah, my guy lifts his leg like a dog looking for a belly scratch every day. We finally found a regimen that seems to work. First we brush the itchy areas so horsey can make that cute lip face and get some relief. Then we baby wipe the area to make sure it's clean. Used to use alcohol wipes, but I think they dry out that sensitive skin too much. Then we put anti-itch cream on any of the spots that the flies have gotten to already and then finally gob on Swat anywhere else. He still gets bitten, but not as badly anymore.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
if he is stinky in sheath area , you may need to clean his sheath, may help by not attracting so many flies.
Ditto that but the Swat does work:)

And so does diaper rash cream if Swat gets too expensive:D

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
I won't use spray in the nether parts when the animal is badly bitten up because of the tiny open wounds. Instead I slather petroleum jelly all over up in there. Don't skimp. Apply about every three days. Also the base of the ears, the dock and around the anus should be done as well. Sometimes we will see broken hairs at the top of the tail and many worry about pinworms. Because a horse walks with his tail raised away from his anus, the mosquitoes and midges have a field day. Horse is itchy but his tail is in the way. A friend just revealed she likes Bag Balm for this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts