The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic has been stomped into the ground, but I shall ask anyway.

What fly repellent do you use? I can't seem to find anything that works. I would prefer spray, but I am willing to consider a roll on if it works better.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I learned that the best thing you have to do is learn WHAT types of bugs you have in any season/local area and what time of day - so if turned out in the day then check out the dawn and noon bugs etc. then go by that. I'm lucky, being UK, with a grey and unsensitive horse that I use deosect - so strong u gotta wear gloves because it really does peel your skin otherwise.

Lasts weeks. No spray as inhaling too dangerous gotta rub on. I only use it when the flies are bad and they might land on her but they wont stay for long. Expensive though.

·
Banned
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I learned that the best thing you have to do is learn WHAT types of bugs you have in any season/local area and what time of day - so if turned out in the day then check out the dawn and noon bugs etc. then go by that.
I know there are variations, but we really only have the basic fly, the horse fly, and annoying gnats.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I have been using Endure and it's worked really well. The two horses aren't crazy about it and Pony actually hates it, but it helps a LOT. The only thing I'd say is that the claim that it lasts for days and days and through sweat and baths has not been true for me, at all. Also it's pricey.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Pyranha works for us here in Alabama. We spray several times a week for nats, flys, etc. Not to bad smelling either...

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
I'm using pyranha spray and wipe right now and it's working pretty well. I'll spray them down with it every two or three days. It seemed to keep the ticks at bay somewhat. I was out trail riding and found two on each of my horses but another rider found many more on their horse. It's a bit oily.

Reactions: knightrider

·
Registered
14,635 Posts
Second year I have been using this, Deep Woods Off. I seen the owner of a tack store using it on her horse, she said it's cheaper and it works better. So I cautiously used it on one of my horses, who breaks out into hives when I use a strong repellent. No hives and worked better than anything I've tried before. I mean if we use it on our bare skin, putting it on a horse who has way thicker hair on them than we do, I figure it's safe enough.

Reactions: Tihannah

·
Super Moderator
14,704 Posts
I have been using Endure and it's worked really well. The two horses aren't crazy about it and Pony actually hates it, but it helps a LOT. The only thing I'd say is that the claim that it lasts for days and days and through sweat and baths has not been true for me, at all. Also it's pricey.

Go to the manufacturers website and sign-up for emails... {I have a separate email account just for this reason}
Do give them your mailing address as you receive a book of coupons that are sweet deals of savings...several times a year.

So many products they make and send coupons for...also you can download and copy them and they are accepted at all stores too!!:happydance:
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Here in the midwest, Gordon's Horse and Pony spray oil-based with sunscreen works the best. I buy a gallon for $34 so I would say on the cheaper side too.

ETA It works so well that my horses line up out in the pasture to get sprayed without a halter. Even they can tell a difference and know what it does. Tail swishing like crazy to blissful relaxation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.