The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for indestructible fly stuff!!! i have a few masks and the ears are torn so there's no use for them but we have mites that love their ears so we buy the ones with the ears!!! i have 3 that go all the way down to their noses and keeps them protected but they get them off! and the seams are coming undone on most of them. can i repair them??

Also for boots. they either fall down or fall apart! I have sport boots on them right now and they work the best. anything better that isnt expensive?

·
Registered
584 Posts
This summer I've been using a Duravet Duramask which is holding up quite well. Honestly fixing fly masks in my experience is quite a bit harder than one would think and not worth it when I got my Duramask on sale at a Pet Club for $5... maybe someone has more experience with repairing fly masks?

I don't wrap my mares legs because I haven't been doing anything stressful with her, I know there are a lot of strong opinions on sports boots around here but I've only ever had luck with Professional's Choice SMB's and have heard great things about Iconoclast boots... neither of which are really "cheap".

If it comes down to it I would go with nothing over polo wraps unless you have someone there who can show you how to wrap them and can correct you if you do them wrong, they are extremely easy to get wrong.

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
Agree, fixing is not worth it esp when they're so easy to buy.

Legs for bugs?

Honestly what does your horse NEED? Sounds like they need ear coverage. Do they need the long nose? The legs? None of my horses have ever needed either. Buy for each horse what that horse needs and not more.

If your horse needs leg wraps buy leg wraps don't use boots... Fly protection is fly protection and boots are boots.

·
Administrator
36,041 Posts
I use the Cashel ones with ears and long nose pieces just for the two pink nosed girls - mine have lasted at least 3 years now and still looking good for next year - I even found one in the spring that had disappeared last summer and lay in the field all through Fall and Winter - and still good to wear after a wash and disinfecting
I've had little luck with fly boots - resorted to just spraying legs with repellant
I'd be worried about using sport boots or any other boots for long periods as they are likely to overheat the legs and cause tendon problems

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I take the boots off daily, our flys are horrible and they stomp a lot even after spraying them. So yes they need boots of some sort and that's the only thing that has been working that doesn't fall apart or not even work. They stay on and protect their legs from bugs and for Mav hitting himself because of the bugs and cutting his legs up.

They need masks to protect their eyes from the sun and bugs, ears and the rest of their faces from bugs. My paint has pink skin but hates long nosed ones but needs on he won't keep them on to protect his pink skin around his eyes.

I seem to need to buy new ones twice a year at least so fixing would be nice so I wouldn't have to keep wasting money on them. As my horses need them

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
Just wondering on the long noses, sounds like your paint needs one but maybe not the others? I would be looking at different fly control options.

It's not normal for a horse to cut themselves up just from stomping at bugs.

I really don't think brushing boots are good at all. Better for them to stomp.

I just wonder if you're being realistic. Some flies are a given. Do you saturate their legs with the spray?

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
I like the cashel fly mask too, but my horse loves his fly stuff and does not destroy it. I use shofly leggins, they do not fall down and are loose so they do not get hot.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
For the first time ever, I'm using a supplement for insect control. My gelding is just so sensitive and cuts his face and chest up rubbing on fences. It works GREAT! Far less head tossing and NO cuts, which is a darn miracle with this horse. I still use a Cashel mask just in case, but the supplement works wonders and makes my gelding's coat shimmer.

It doesn't make all of the bugs go away, but definitely deters most of them. I've barely used fly spray this year.

https://www.smartpakequine.com/ps/smartbugoff-pellets-7175

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.