The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont see a large number of flies on my horses but I do see bites on them sometimes. Ever so often one of my horses has rubbed it a tad too much and I have to dab ointment on it. I have used Ultrashield (all flying insects) and a cheaper one I found at a local tack shop. However, despite the claims these sprays make I find myself spraying almost everyday.

What kind of options do I have for longevity in this area? Please and thank you.

Registered
I use Farnam Endure sweat-resistant fly spray...it's like the only one I found that really works for a long time.
I think with any spray, you have to spray every day. It doesn't last forever.

I also use SWAT around my horse's face/ears/legs for extra protection. Do you have a fly mask or fly boots you can use too, or even a fly sheet? They help also. Not much you can really do this time of year to get rid of the flies completely. They are a pain in the butt, but can be managed.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont see flies on them that much and never really on their face. I just see some bites on their neck and rump mostly. I'll look into that Farnam. Thank you!

I guess you are right about the sprays. Supposed to build a barrier up for a day or two and then it said it would last 17 days.
The lie detector determined that was a lie!- Maury

Super Moderator
I dont see flies on them that much and never really on their face. I just see some bites on their neck and rump mostly. I'll look into that Farnam. Thank you!
The bite marks in my area are not from regular flies, aka house flies, but from more the green-headed, deer or horseflies... ** see below **
These buggars laugh at you when you hit them...they just fly off.
Interesting enough if your horse is being plagued by one and you hit it, I mean hit it to squash it, the horse seems to know you hit to kill the fly not to hit, discipline/reprimand them and they don't react...or at least mine don't. :wink:
When the biting insects are really bad on the trail, if on the face my horses will turn their face/body part to you so you can wallop and get rid of the ouch on them...usually ending with a blood covered hand too. :icon_rolleyes:

I use Endure as it is sweat resistant and stays on when many other sprays sweat off and away, yet no matter how much applied day after day I don't find a "build-up" of resistance and no-way lasts what they claim...
My friend uses Endure, then she applies Deep Woods Off {human bug spray} as a top-dressing.
I also use swat on sheaths since such a sensitive area..
I use fly masks with ears, she has one with dangling fringes and we both carry sticks with leaves so we can brush the body parts as needed easier.
Sometimes we just give in in defeat, pack up and go home if the bugs are just to bad...you know within 5 minutes of hitting the trails from the trailer parking area.

I purchase fly spray in the off-season or at season end when on sale and put it away for next year.
If you use Farnam products go to the company website and sign-up for their coupons... https://www.farnam.com/
They mail me coupons several times a year for fly spray, sand-clear, supplements and a few other often used products...you spend, but you also save.
I try to use those coupons when items are on sale and the sting isn't then as bad to my pocket...

** I use Preparation H on those bites as it takes down the swelling and reduces the itch..
:runninghorse2:...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lot of good info there. Thank you! Thank you! And you are right about swatting them off the horse. I came out this morning and two huge horseflies are on one of my horses. I was like sorry buddy, I gotta hit ya. But he didnt care one bit. Got both of those leaches!
I also have two bites on myself from the trail last weekend and they still itch. -_-

Registered
I had no luck with Endure. The flies laughed. The only thing that has worked for me in our area is the Pyrahna Yellow bottle (oil based) spray. It seems to last most of a day, but you still have to apply it daily. I use a roll-on for the ears and around the eyes and usually make a swipe of that down the midline of the rump and across the top where the horseflies love to land. I use a fly mask as well.

Registered
I have excellent luck with Pyrahna but it does need to be applied daily. But it does last all day! Endure has also worked with my horses and I do like that it's sweat resistant because it does hang on for a bit. But I also re-apply that daily. When you get the more persistent bugs, like the deer flies, horse flies, etc... they aren't as off-put by fading fly spray as your common flies are.

I used to use Permethryn with a Pyrahna top coat because I found that with a few solid days of Permethryn applications it -did- hang on. I just had to marinate my horses daily for a few days first, and upkeep it.. lol.

Skip Bronco fly spray, that does not last as long but it does give initial relief. I've noticed the cheaper sprays are just that... cheap. They don't tend to last or they don't do the best job.

Registered
We use balms in the udder regions and we use sprays everywhere else. I don't know that I have ever found one particular brand to be better than another myself but we do usually regular buy different brands and switch between then to keep trying different types.

Registered
When I lived in Florida, Endure worked really well and lasted a long time. However, since I moved to NC, it doesn't work as well (especially on the face flies), and I had to switch to applying Pyrahna daily. I have applied Equi-spot for longer lasting protection, and it works well.

Registered
I am having a terrible time with horseflies as well in and around the barn. I have to spray the horses in the morning and late afternoon. I have resorted to putting them in the stalls during the day with fans blowing to help keep the flies off. This year seems to be worse then years past. I have also sprayed the barn and stalls with a spray-cannot recall the name at this time that is suppose to keep the flies and bugs away, but of course it does not seem to work. I go through Swat often on the face and neck areas to help keep the flies from biting and leaving whelps. Any advice I can get would be helpful. I just joined this forum and this was my first post to it. I am looking forward to learning a lot of information.

Registered
[UOTE=3Horses2DogsandaCat;1970726713]When I lived in Florida, Endure worked really well and lasted a long time. However, since I moved to NC, it doesn't work as well (especially on the face flies), and I had to switch to applying Pyrahna daily. I have applied Equi-spot for longer lasting protection, and it works well.[/QUOTE] I'm in NC too and the bugs are pretty bad. I've pulled off more than 8 ticks off my mare. I use CLAC gel and roll on. It's not perfect, but it does help. My mare spooks to all types of spray applications. The gel and roll on help me to apply it efficiently.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.