The Horse Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, recently I have noticed flies have been biting at my horse, liam's, sheath and its beginning to swell. I have tried everything, swat (melted off), copious amounts of flyspray, flysheet, fly predators, etc. I also muck the paddock they live in daily and their stalls when dirty. I don't know what else to do to help him, I don't want it to develop into a summer sore or anything worse. If there are any tips to help keep the flies off the sheath area please let me know! also heard apple cider vinegar in their feed could help but i'm not sure if there is science backing that or not. Another thing I should add is my other gelding is not being bothered to the extent as liam is. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
10,789 Posts
If you’re looking for science-backed data, it won’t be available in near the quantity as anecdotal accounts on this forum:)

I have one horse the knars and midge flies love to gang up on, but diet is important. What the horse eats can change the odor of his urine & manure, which often leads to a bigger attraction of flies.

The husband of a friend has a nose that is100% accurate in “smelling out” horses on the trail that eat sweet feed. He said the smell emitting from their sweaty skin was sickening —- just what the flies love:)

Topically, what I have successfully used on the sheath is a combination of hemorrhoid ointment and diaper rash cream that says “40% zinc oxide” on the box. Walmart brand is the best for the money.

Either one is safe if it accidentally gets inside the sheath,

·
Super Moderator
12,915 Posts
I'll second what Walkin posted. I have a mare the cow flies eat up. I don't feed sweet but it wasn't until I added extra amino acids and coconut oil that they have backed off. They are still there but she isn't a bloody mess. Knock on wood for the rest of this summer.

·
Registered
14,897 Posts
I always found Swat to work well but you tried that and it melted off. Rub it in better maybe?

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
diaper rash cream is great. Hose your horses sheath and keep it clean. If he has beans and a stinky sheath there will be more flies. I have use hydrocortisone cream to help with the soreness from flies biting then the diaper rash cream. Get some feed through fly control also .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts