The Horse Forum banner

Foal Coat Color=Unable to Determine

1658 Views 17 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  LoriF
I have searched far and wide looking through hundreds of foal pictures trying to find one that looked like my guy. Obviously, I will love him regardless. Its just driving me insane. I will attach pictures of both parents, foal at birth, and foal now. He is officially a month old! Both parents are different colors of bay so I assume he is too. He was born almost a light tan with a chocolate dun strip. He then turned a darker chocolate and the stripe on his back has faded. Now his muzzle is shedding out darker than his body but his legs are still really light. He doesnt have any of the black hairs coming through on the legs like a traditional bay colt would. Neither of the parents are color tested so no luck there. Anyone have any foal pictures that look like this or a prediction of what may happen here?? HELP lol

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Premium Member
Dusty, 12hh gelding
I agree with Palfrey and Dreamcatcher Arabians; he looks like a potential bay. At this stage the variation of bay is uncertain. It will be interesting though to see what's underneath once he sheds his foal coat. He's a darling, have fun with him!

Super Moderator
He's bay. Possible one of the parents has nd1 which could make primitives in foal camo more pronounced. I don't see buckskin for the mare but with pictures it can be hard to tell. The only gene combo that reliably produces a specific shade is EEAa and more often than not you get the darkest bay. First foal shed is most typically the darkest.

Best way to know is test. Do you know the color of the mare's parents

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He's a cutey. Looks bay to me too. His dam looks sun faded, so he may be quite a bit darker, especially once he sheds that foal coat. What's the vet say about his legs? He looks a bit windswept in one of those pics.
Here is another picture of the mare. The vet seen him when he was a week old and said he looked great. She was a maiden and he had some super tall legs at first but they see to be correcting themselves pretty well.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He's bay. Possible one of the parents has nd1 which could make primitives in foal camo more pronounced. I don't see buckskin for the mare but with pictures it can be hard to tell. The only gene combo that reliably produces a specific shade is EEAa and more often than not you get the darkest bay. First foal shed is most typically the darkest.

Best way to know is test. Do you know the color of the mare's parents
This is the Mares sire. I do not know what color the Mares dam was.

Attachments

Super Moderator
So she's bay. Not buckskin. Nothing hiding on either parent. The only thing that may be there that we aren't seeing as we don't have pictures showing it would be nd1. That will put primitives on a horse but rarely dilution. If it does it is not to any great extent. It will cause excessive fading though in some horses.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So she's bay. Not buckskin. Nothing hiding on either parent. The only thing that may be there that we aren't seeing as we don't have pictures showing it would be nd1. That will put primitives on a horse but rarely dilution. If it does it is not to any great extent. It will cause excessive fading though in some horses.
I agree with Palfrey and Dreamcatcher Arabians; he looks like a potential bay. At this stage the variation of bay is uncertain. It will be interesting though to see what's underneath once he sheds his foal coat. He's a darling, have fun with him!
He's a cutey. Looks bay to me too. His dam looks sun faded, so he may be quite a bit darker, especially once he sheds that foal coat. What's the vet say about his legs? He looks a bit windswept in one of those pics.
He is very adorable. I'm thinking he is going to be bay, what variation remains to be determined. His dam is quite light, almost buckskin looking. You should color test him so we can find out his official color!

I have attached pictures from yesterday for comparison!

Registered
This foal is definitely a bay horse. UC Davis charges about 80 dollars and the test includes red factor, agouti (bay/black), cream, champagne, pearl, grey, dun, and silver. I don't think you need it though unless you want to see if he carries red. That's not really necessary unless he's a breeding animal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts