The Horse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor had a dummy foal born who was also a red bag delivery. She had a rough first couple of days but has finally started to perk up. Except her ears are both flopped over. I’m curious if this is common in dummy foals, and corrects itself? At a week and a half old, how likely are her ears to stand up straight still?

·
Super Moderator
12,636 Posts
They should stand up. It is usually a sign of premature foals, too.

·
Super Moderator
12,636 Posts
Dummy foal is a foal that appears "dumb", can't find mom to nurse, doesn't show interest in nursing, no suckling reflex, circles, is weak, sleeps all the time, licks the walls....

All behaviors that say something went wrong at birth. Lack of oxygen, too long in birthing, dyastoctia, premature, several reasons.

Red bag is where placenta delivers first and if you aren't there baby will most likely die as oxygen loss is immediate once placenta separates.

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,076 Posts
Interesting thing about dummy foals: they're often "woken up" and start acting normally after receiving a procedure called the Madigan squeeze. The theory is that the process of being squeezed by the birth canal during birth wakes the foals up and triggers them to be active and get up and nurse. But for some foals, the squeeze on the way out, so to speak, isn't enough and they still remain in the passive state they need to be in while in the womb and during the foaling process. So the Madigan squeeze recreates the squeeze of passing through the birth canal, and can snap foals out of the dummy state.

Neat, huh?

·
Super Moderator
26,875 Posts
A large majority of the dummy foals do make a full recovery so the ears "should" perk up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My neighbor had a dummy foal born who was also a red bag delivery. She had a rough first couple of days but has finally started to perk up. Except her ears are both flopped over. I’m curious if this is common in dummy foals, and corrects itself? At a week and a half old, how likely are her ears to stand up straight still?
This was an accidental post on my part, Sorry just learning how this works.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A dummy foal and or red bag delivery are complicated and not necessarily related to one another. Many things can result in what is commonly called a dummy foal (AKA maladjusted foal). Typically, the problem is related to oxygen deprivation during passage through the birth canal. When the umbilicus is compressed for a long enough period of time to cause a lack of oxygen to reach the foals brain and the brain stem begins to swell as a result. There is an amazingly effective treatment for this condition if it can accurately be identified. Typically, the oxygen-derived foal will be limp all over and have almost no muscle tone with an inability to gain a sternal position and certainly unable to stand and nurse. The same can of course be true of a red bag foal, where the placenta has detached before the foal has passed through the birth canal. Thus, the same oxygen deprivation occurs since the foal has no access to outside air at that point and for some extended period of time.
If this is in fact the case, an IV started with one liter of saline with 60ml of 99.9% medical-grade DMSO mixed in, administered full flow through an 18-gauge catheter. The foal will typically rise to the sternal position before the mixture is fully administered. And attain a standing position shortly thereafter and start looking for the udder.
As for a foal with lop ears. Sometimes foals are born with and maintain lop ears for the rest of their lives. In my experience, that is attributable to the hearing deficit, or a total lack of hearing capacity. Since they cannot hear they never learn to use those muscles that control the ear movement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts