The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always envied my trainer's ability to have his horse follow him around without a halter or rope. Now, I've tried this with Hoover, but my baby has ADHD....seriously. My trainer said he has the shortest attention span of any horse he has worked with in 40 years. Hoover tries, he really does...but keeping his attention is a battle.

Gunner, on the other hand, is a little easier. He follows me around the round pen on command, and will stay without needing to be held in the yard with me for at least 20 minutes. He wandered away because he thought my instructor was feeding at the barn. :p He also does lead rope very well, and will stop shoulder to shoulder with me after a few small reminders.

So, my question is...how do I further work with Gunner to improve this? Do any of your horses do this?

Oh...I'm not looking to do this anywhere except the ranch, where he knows the ground and at most will run to the barn if he stops listening. I wouldn't put him in danger...we're 100s of acres away from a road.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As for the whip question, I never use anything beyond a cotton rope or a hand in training. I usually don't need to use either, just turning on the horse tense and angry, with a sharp voice, then immediately calming down when they understand they did something wrong is usually enough. Heh...I usually threaten to eat part of Hoover as a steak...in front of him...or tan his hide...slap the taste of out his mouth...or something to that effect. Something I can growl and really let him know he's made me mad. The vocal is enough for my boys most of the time.

And my trainer never used whips either...Drift did it because he loved and respected Bill, so to him there -was- nothing better than spending time with him. Bill used to take Drift to perform tricks for schools...and never used any ropes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.