The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
Notice that most of the trainers are carrying whips?? That is their connection to the horse. A whip trained horse will follow like a dog on your heals because he knows he can not turn and run without paying the price. He can not run past you either so he sticks close, the only safe place to be.
It is easy to teach but most boarding places would frown on it. To get a horse to follow you around the stall take minutes to teach and then you just expand it to outside.
Again I have taught it to a degree far above whip training but would I ever do it again? NO

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
It's nice to say they do it out of LOVE out of RESPECT but that doesn't make for a reliable horse. Given something better he will just walk off. Try putting on a show in an arena for a crowd and see how far love and repect get you??? Not far.
To be reliable you need that connections and the whip is the connection. Sure it would look nice to drop the whip, makes for a better image but the alternative is not nice either.

Again I have been there, a reliable horse that comes running at the mere whistle from any distance, dances around me but follows on a heal as good as any obedience dog and then stands and stays outside the barn while I go in to get a hoof pick to clean the feet before giving permission to enter the barn.
That is not Love and Respect, that is training.

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
this is my thoroughly ticked off boy. I didn't stop for him when I came into the field. He was at the gate ready for me to take him on a ride and I had the nerve to just walk into the field and bypass him and keep right on going.
He is really ticked with me but he is following without a whip or lead rope.
Not a nice picture I sure received a talking too once he caught me.:lol:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.