The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

For all yall horse LOVERS!

4K views 33 replies 16 participants last post by  englishrider 
#1 ·
So does anyone love horse like think about them all the time? Even the nonhorsey owners like me! :D And get all Giddy and Excited the night before a riding day!:) Well thats how I am right now. Lesson is tomarrow morning!! Yay I am happy. I hvent had a lesson for like 3 weeks :( but yay!:):-p:lol::D I love horses. I just love grooming, saddling, bridling, riding, unbridling, halterining,unsaddling(is that even a word?)lol. I just basically love horses! :) Anyone else?:wink:

#6 ·
This is great. First, hubby wants to get 2 horses this year. Second, we no NOTHING about horses. I've been reading this forum and as much as i can about horses; grooming, vet care, health, exercise requirements, etc...

So today I was telling hubby that I've been spending time 'visualizing' and trying to 'get a feel' of what it might be like if we have horses. It really is just scaring me more and more. Floating teeth? WHAT is THAT? Feed ... besides hay and oats ... what and how much.....it goes on and on. I listed a number of things for hubby that we don't know. Like worming. He said "oh, I'm sure that's just a pill". WELL it seems as though you need to track WHICH worm meds they HAVE taken and WHICH worm meds are coming up as there are DIFFERENT worms ..... ????!!!!! AAAGGGGGHHHHH : ? )

Can't I just cuddle and kiss them? Really .... anyone out there need a professional horse cuddler? : ? )

#8 ·
Lol guys! Lesson was Perfect. my trainer let me do things indipenant(sp?) And she said I would be cantering in no time I know I've never cantered :shock: plus jessie(my lesson horse that I LOVE) was perfect today! :)

#9 ·
Ever since I have started working I have NO desire to EVER build a big barn with lots of horses and stalls... I just want to move my horse home and never step in another stall again.
But I love riding and all that stuff just cleaning 26 stalls and feeding and watering isnt what it has cracked up to be.

#10 ·
Well i feel outnumbered but we all can feel the same about horses .got my first horse last spring after 35 yrs without 1 i felt like i have no clue on whats going on with them .come to find out horses havent changed any . I feel the same way about horses then as i do now mygrandaughter tool my first horse, so i got another horse . Now i get in trouble for having another girl in my life . Havent been able to ride since my back surgary in october. Doc said im good to go.my babys are 3 and 10 years old.

#12 ·
Goodness, it's so sweet to see all the enthusiasm. :)

I've had horses 32 years. I boarded for 27 of them, and I've had the horses at home now for the last 5 years.

Boarding and self care are two completely different animals, but now that I'm doing it all myself I can't imagine ever going back to boarding.

I do all the feeding, grooming, stall cleaning, fence setup/repair, and I enjoy it tremendously. It's a lot of work and I don't ride as much as I used to, but I take great satisfaction in knowing that my horses have clean stalls, safe paddocks, and are fed on a regular schedule.

You truly need a deep love and commitment to these animals to stick with it, because they're expensive to keep and will break your heart when you lose one. But it's all worth it.

#14 ·
It all depends on when you need to be at school or work, how many horses you have etc.
It takes me only about 15-20 min. to get everyone fed and watered. Mine are not in stalls and I don't seperate them to feed. Just walk down the fence line dumping feed, then checking water and hay.
If I had to seperate everyone it would of course take much longer. I have 4 horses.

#15 ·
Wanna, I need to be at work by 8:00 a.m., so I'm usually up at 5:30 a.m. I have a 45 minute drive to work, so I need to leave home by 7:15 a.m.

Unlike Vida, I can't feed mine together. Casper's a pig and bolts his food, then tries to take everyone else's away from them.

Mack and Casper get the same thing, but Mack gets a little more because he's older, this winter was hard on him, and I'm trying to put some weight back on him.

JJ gets a different feed and twice what Mack and Casper get, because he's a TB and a hard keeper.

So, since they all get different amounts/types of feed, I have to separate them to make sure everyone gets what they're supposed to. Once they've eaten their grain they get turned back out again before I leave, and share hay.

I also have a Great Dane and barn cats who need to be fed and watered.

Once everyone's been fed and the horses are out with their hay, I get dressed and head on in to work. :D

#17 · (Edited)
Mine's fed at 5:30am. My sister-in-law says that my horse and hers stand at the end of their corrals and stare at the house window, just waiting for the light to turn on and then if she's not out there in what they deem a reasonable amount of time.... the neighbors hear all about it. :shock:

Each horse has their own stall and large run (we don't shut stall doors, they are free to go in/out) so feeding in the morning is giving the pre-prepared buckets of feed. Hers eats in her stall, mine outside (unless it's raining/snowing or tired human pours the feed into the inside feeder) and giving hay to mine and hay/alfalfa to hers.

We have to feed separate, I have a quarter horse whose convinced she's starving to death and inhales whatever you feed her (including de-wormer, she LOVES that stuff!!) and she has a thoroughbred whose slow, picky and needs hay in front of her 24x7.

I don't mind shoveling manure, it's quiet and peaceful.... nobody dares to come out there and bother me when I am, for fear I'll make them help! :lol:

#19 ·
My wife and I feed ours about 5:30 or 6 in the morning. We have to separate them cause my TWH bolts food and runs everyone else off theirs. We have older QH that has to be stalled to eat due to bad teeth, they are floated, and the amount of feed seh gets, so it takes her a long time to eat. The other two eat at the same speed so no issue there. They share hay and feed time is the only time anyone is stalled. They are standing at the gate or fence looking for you to come feed in the mornings and evenings..

#21 ·
idk about all you guys but i just got my first horse in december 2008 so basically a year an 3 months ago? i as completely horse crazy. but i had never ridden in my life and my horse had never been ridden. i broke her and she taught me. now we have 6 horses where we live but only 4 are ours. i had my first foal a little over a week ago. and he is a dream come true! i did everything backwards but so far my luck as been good enough!

as for your guys's feeding schedule lol you guys are crazy! i don't feed twice a day. the horses get fed once. and the horse who was pregnant and just had the baby gets fed twice. i fed her around 6:30-8 anywhere in there and she got 4 flakes of hay. and then all of the horses(momma horse included!) get fed at 3-8pm and they get 4 quarts of all grain. and get 1 square bale to share(momma gets 4 more flakes to herself). and they are healthy as can be.

things my way have worked for me. but all horses are different and all of mine seem to be easy keepers so this works well for me.

#22 ·
Some people don't feed grain at all, and just keep hay in front of their horses. Doesn't make anyone more right than anyone else, just different ways of keeping horses.

For those of you gasping about getting up at 5:30, I'm assuming you're not adults with a full-time job. Having horses is a job in itself, so we have to make concessions on the human end. I'd rather get up at 5:30 and make sure my animals are properly fed and watered before I go to work, than rush and make them miss meals.

#25 ·
Some people don't feed grain at all, and just keep hay in front of their horses. Doesn't make anyone more right than anyone else, just different ways of keeping horses.

For those of you gasping about getting up at 5:30, I'm assuming you're not adults with a full-time job. Having horses is a job in itself, so we have to make concessions on the human end. I'd rather get up at 5:30 and make sure my animals are properly fed and watered before I go to work, than rush and make them miss meals.
I don't grain mine in the summer. A mineral salt block and all the grass they can eat is plenty. In the winter they get grained once a day around noon and have 24/7 hay.
My husband works midnights so I try to keep feedings when he can do it in case I can't. Horses like to be fed on a regular schedule, doesn't matter what that schedule is.

#23 ·
Don't we all!

I'll get really jumpy and jittery before a show. All throw this summers Gymkhana's I was a wreck beforehand, trying to get everything together. I'm one of those people who has to freak out before I can be calm.

#27 ·
I am an addict and don't want a cure.:lol::lol: I have been riding for 51 years, long long rides almost every second day and still get a high from it. That feeling has never gone away over the years and the longest time I can remember of not riding is 3 weeks, 3 weeks without a horse between my legs and it is my wife's fault. She made me go to Portugal in February.
I was out last night, can't ride tonight because of commitments but come Thursday I will be back out running.
Yes I am a horse lover, an addict and I love it. I ride about 2000 miles a year or a minumum of 4 times a week. I was born to be a rider.
I will die without a horse:lol::lol:

#33 ·
haha YES! That is exactly me!!! As, you know from all my posts saying how much I want one haha. As you said on a visitor message I have "Horse Fever" haha.

I didn't know anyone else was like this too! I thought I was just weird. haha. But guess not!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.