The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know the market is flooded and horrible and I have my eye on an 18 year old horse for my family. He has been on the market since Nov 16th I believe and hasn't sold. He is being marketed as a complete kids horse, no problems, vices, ect. I know I am having a hard time selling my mare and our pony (both not very in demand) but I thought an older bombproof horse would be gone by now if he is as awesome as they say he is. He is 5 hours away from us and I would hate to get there and have him vetted only to come up lame or be a complete spazz.

I am weary of people selling horses anyway...you can't trust anyone. I probably haven't sold my two because I probably am too honest but I want people to know exactly what they are getting.

Any thoughts or is the market just that bad?

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
maybe post the ad link and we can telll you what ill make it stand out and stuff :)

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know why mine haven't sold. I know they are not very marketable horses. No one wants a barely broke 12 year old mare ( I got in over my head with this one) or a pony that you can hardly get to move lol.

I want to know why he hasn't sold. I just have it in my head that something is wrong with him because he is still on the market LOL

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I know the market is flooded and horrible and I have my eye on an 18 year old horse for my family. He has been on the market since Nov 16th I believe and hasn't sold. He is being marketed as a complete kids horse, no problems, vices, ect. I know I am having a hard time selling my mare and our pony (both not very in demand) but I thought an older bombproof horse would be gone by now if he is as awesome as they say he is. He is 5 hours away from us and I would hate to get there and have him vetted only to come up lame or be a complete spazz.

I am weary of people selling horses anyway...you can't trust anyone. I probably haven't sold my two because I probably am too honest but I want people to know exactly what they are getting.

Okay....
#1- I have bought many horses online and I know for a fact that about 99 percent of people selling horses with lie straight through their teeth to you and swear up and down that what they are saying is true without as much as a blink!!! :evil:BE CAREFUL EVERYONE!!!! THERE IS A NEW "MEDICINE" ON THE MARKET THAT IS SOMEWHAT LIKE ACE BUT IT DOES NOT HAVE ANY OBVIOUS SIDE EFFECTS OR MAKE THE HORSE SLEEPY!! IT SIMPLY CALMS THE HORSE AND MAKE THEM SEEM PERFECT!!! IT CAN LAST FOR TWO WEEKS OR EVEN UP TO ONE MONTH DEPENDING ON HOW MUCH THE PERSON BUYS!!!!:evil:
#2- Yes, the market is pretty bad but if it IS truly as good as they say it is then, no, it most likely would not be for sale still. In your situation, I would not buy it, but this is your call not mine. I hope I helped!!!:wink:

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I can't afford him right now nor do I have the room until my two are gone. Gosh how are people supposed to buy horses these days?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I found the perfect bombproof, dead broke mare not too long ago. Come to find out she had back issues, spooked at everything and couldn't trot for the life of her. It was a wreck. Lol

I hope you have better luck than me!

·
Registered
434 Posts
The following are some thoughts about your potential new horse:

18 is considered a little too old by some people, so it could be his age is why he hasn't sold yet. Also his price may be too high. What are they asking? Can you post the add details, pictures, or a link to the add?

I'd also consider his background for how sound he may or may not be. Was he a show horse in his youth? If so, he may have issues related to the extra stresses on his joints.

Have they given a reason why they are selling (why, if he is such a great horse, are they trying to get rid of him?)?

The holidays may have interfered with selling him. I suppose they may just be very picky about who they'll sell him to.

Since it is so far away, I'd ask for lots of up to date pictures and video if you can get it. Video of everything they claim he can do.

I'd ask them lots of questions and keep track of the answers. If they start contradicting themselves, then get suspicious.

Good luck.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You bring up very good points! I agree winter and the holidays make it hard to sell a horse.

Here is the link to his dreamhorse ad DreamHorse.com Horse ID: 1487345 - Tubbs

This is his video YouTube - karensheeran's Channel

They have him listed on another site for $2500, dream horse for $1800 but she told me in her email (below) they would take an offer on him.

"
Well Tubbs sounds like a great match for your kiddos. I have never ever had to get on him and tune him for the kids he is as honest as the day is long. And he gets in no hurry and would never run off with anyone. He is not barn sour or buddy sour. We have ridden him at rodeos in traffic, noise banners etc and he is a good boy. My timid 6 year old has ridden him and he really gained confidence on him and moved on to another horse with a little more spunk. Tubbs will lope however he is not that lazy but would never run away with anyone. I think that would just take too much energy on his part LOL. WE have him barefoot right now because we are not riding him that much but when we did haul him a bunch we kept shoes on him as we do all our horses. He can get a little ouchy on rocks. He is up to date on coggins and shots but has not had his teeth done. He holds his weight wonderful and just eats 1 scoop of Safechoice pelleted twice a day feed and pasture. He is a good hay eater also. He really has no vices the only we have found is that he hates electric clippers but you can clip him it just takes time. Our price on him is somewhat negotiable and the only thing I would consider trading for him is a barrel or roping prospect. Weanling to 4 years old paint or quarter horse. If you have any other questions let me know."

·
Registered
434 Posts
I've heard that heading and heeling can wear on a horse, so there may be potential physical problems from that if he had a career of it when he was younger. Have you specifically asked her about arthritis? Has he needed joints injected in the past? How long have they owned him?

He looks very sweet, and if he is sound he would be great. I'm not sure if 1800 is a good or bad price where you are at. On craigslist in AZ I watched an add for what looked like a super sweet, well trained, trail horse background 16 year old quarter horse start at 1800 and slowly creep down to 1200. I haven't seen his add in a few weeks so they might have finally gotten a buyer at that price.

I'd post his video on horse conformation and get opinions. I'm not good at that sort of stuff, but I think he may be stiff in the right rear in the video.

It is so darn cute with that little boy up there riding him :D. Too bad he is so far away from you. I'd definitely vet check him, and probably plan a couple of road trips to visit first. Also, ask what sort of shoes he wears when they have him shod.

Good luck.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You know I haven't really inquired any more on him because I can't do anything until I sell my two. I don't want to waste her time. $1800 is ehhh for a grade gelding imo however if he is as bombproof as they say then that makes up for it in my eyes.

That little guy is the cutest. At least with this guy my husband can ride even in my boys don't get into riding (hence the reason I m selling their pony).

I am going to stay hopeful!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Maybe he's great and just over priced :D.

Hopefully you sell your two soon and get to do some serious horse shopping :D. Maybe he'll be waiting for you when you get to.

And if he's gone, one thing I've definitely decided over the last few months of looking and dreaming - there will always be another horse.

·
Registered
434 Posts

Now you have me doing it :lol:. Up till now I was just assuming bad market, but now a horse I've seen on CL for a few months (but hadn't seen him for a couple of weeks) popped back up at 950. They started out at 1800 a few months ago. They are finally admitting they are selling due to job loss, but they've owned him for less than two years.

Now I'm thinking, given his description, what's wrong with him.

Here's the link to the add Super Gentle Quarter Horse Gelding

I even e-mailed her today, I'm thinking of trying to convince the hubby we could board him, since the house hunting isn't going well.

I'd love more opinions on if this is just a really bad time to be selling a horse, or if a horse is on sale for two months there must be something wrong with him.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If you can find the name of their farrier, he'll most likely tell you the truth. My farrier knows everyone's horse up here, and he is the one I would ask about a horse I was thinking of getting. In fact, he came out yesterday, and told me about two older horses in need of a home, if I was interested. So, maybe ask your own farrier about a horse available that would meet your needs, and have him spread the word about your own horses being available.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Looks like a decent mount if you aren't planning on doing anything strenuous. If he competed in his younger years that would explain why he looked so stiff behind and why the vid never really showed him at anything other than a canter. Who knows how old that roping clip was...not bad for a beginner but if it were me he would totally be for someone to learn the very basics, or take it very easy on. This is said sight unseen and assuming he wasn't on downers...Still, overpriced. I agree with Goldrush, talk to the farrier if you can.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
At 5 hours away I doubt I could find out the farrier without asking the owners. Could just be the market. I can't give my horses away right now and they are priced way less than he is. I think I am just going to wait until spring/summer to sell mine. I don't want someone thinking the same thing about my horses a couple of months from now O-o.

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
Horses don't typically sell well in the winter, even in a good economy. Your riding time is limited, and the horse needs more in the way of food to keep his body weight up because of the cold weather. Not many people want to buy something and then just have it stand around for 3 to 4 months.

IF the horse really is a babysitter, even at 18 y/o $1,800 is a steal. I'm not crazy about his looks, but pretty is as pretty does!

I took on a 5 y/o OTTB in November for free. There's absolutely nothing wrong with him, except that his owner could no longer afford to keep him and she wanted him to go to a nonracing home.

People are having a hard time GIVING anything away, much less selling. There's no reason to be super suspicious just because this gelding hasn't sold.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I love him! But I agree with what has been said regarding his physical condition, etc.

Anyone else think that little boy in the video is like, an insanely good rider? haha

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Almostthere The saddle they have on him seems to be rocking(popped up in back) and his back seems to has a serious lack of muscle, Id fear he has back troubles...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.