The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
And your horse is a what? That can jump how high? And competes at what level of dressage? And gets how much exercise? And competes internationally?

Please read above post!!
And i did read the above post. Just to let you know :)It doesnt matter what my horse is...how high he jumps....competes at what level of dressage..and if he competes internationally or not. He will have respect for me. Simple as that.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
And i did read the above post. Just to let you know :)It doesnt matter what my horse is...how high he jumps....competes at what level of dressage..and if he competes internationally or not. He will have respect for me. Simple as that.
This is possibly the richest thing I have read all day. Thank you for the laugh!
I bet you could muscle around a 1400 lb. ball of energetic animal that knows it is 1400 lbs. and would really love to be somewhere else at that moment. Perhaps breeding a mare? Over at that patch of grass? These horses lift their heads and they can pick a person up without a second thought. Yep and he would sure respect you giving him a slap on the neck too.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Those handlers aren't handling their horses as well as they should be. Their lack of handling ability is asking for trouble. Gawking up at the horse, pulling at his mouth, and stumbling next to his shoulder is not how you should trot a horse in hand. They aren't being 'feisty' because they are wild athletic beasts, they are being 'feisty' because their handlers are asking for it subconsciously. It doesn't matter if it's a stallion surrounded by mares, screaming children and flower pots, it's the handler's job to calm the horse down. When I watch the video, I don't see snappy and opinionated horses. I see horses that are doing what their handlers are telling them to do:dance around and be nervous, as well as take the lead.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Those handlers aren't handling their horses as well as they should be. Their lack of handling ability is asking for trouble. Gawking up at the horse, pulling at his mouth, and stumbling next to his shoulder is not how you should trot a horse in hand. They aren't being 'feisty' because they are wild athletic beasts, they are being 'feisty' because their handlers are asking for it subconsciously. It doesn't matter if it's a stallion surrounded by mares, screaming children and flower pots, it's the handler's job to calm the horse down. When I watch the video, I don't see snappy and opinionated horses. I see horses that are doing what their handlers are telling them to do:dance around and be nervous, as well as take the lead.
I do have to agree, the quality of handling has diminished lately. The "pro" handlers traveling with a lot of the inspectors these days are not nearly as professional as they were even 10 years ago.
The quality of horses has gotten better though and even if you are 6' tall, male and very fit it is hard to keep up with these monsters.

I like my amateurs horse haha thank you very much!

·
Registered
641 Posts
This is possibly the richest thing I have read all day. Thank you for the laugh!
I bet you could muscle around a 1400 lb. ball of energetic animal that knows it is 1400 lbs. and would really love to be somewhere else at that moment. Perhaps breeding a mare? Over at that patch of grass? These horses lift their heads and they can pick a person up without a second thought. Yep and he would sure respect you giving him a slap on the neck too.
well you could have said that much nicer. But i dont expect much more.

But what roro said is true. I agree.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
so whats new ? people are always the problem...

·
Registered
675 Posts
Ok so you eventers are saying that because the horses jump so high and are so awsome that they live far above behaviour standerds and because they are just so amazing can get away with murder as long as you win? Thats funny.
Also real equine athletes? And other atheletes like reiners and cutters and barrel racers arent "real" because they dont jump so high, paiffe and are actually behaved and dont try to kill there handlers. How ignorant.
I dont think any horse should get away with thinking its the boss because it competes at high level, and people shouldnt use the excuse that the horse is being himself and since he is so big and oh so talented he can drag his riders around for the pretty blue ribbons he might win and nice babys hes gonna sire. Now thats really rich. Thanks for that laugh.

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
, it's the handler's job to calm the horse down.

I really wish it was that easy. I have had horses that are dreams at home. They get to an inspection and the atmosphere is electric. They become very animated.

If you haven't run the triangle during an inspection, it is very difficult. You have to run as fast as you can (getting a long, lofty trot without breaking), next to a horse, turning with you on the outside (very hard) and go a long way. It is exhausting.

On one inspection, the stallion was acting up a bit. The inspector had me run the triangle three times. She was determined to have that stallion strut his stuff enough to get the highest score. I thought I was going to puke.

Do I think I could have jogged that stallion better? Probably not.

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
Ok, I think everyone has said their mind and there doesn't seem to be anything learned from this point.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.