The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Mickey
I have reread your various posts. The horse you are describing could be my Joe.
At the end he nearly killed me and at the same time he damaged his ligament which eventually led to his being put down. I have written a long diatribe describing his behaviour but I decided not to post it on the Forum. Such cussed stubborn horses are testing their riders almost every day and they never give in, they just change tack and try again to get their own way.

From my own experiences I have no compunction in saying that you should find yourself another horse before this fellow does you a permanent injury.

I can recognise the conflict with your Mom but surely she doesn't want to see you hurt.

My best comment is that you should go out and find a horse who is going to respect you and which wants to keep you safe.

B G

·
Registered
13 Posts
Your horse may have an eye problem such as cataracts. Fear of the unknown can freak them out when they can't see out of part of their eye. I suggest getting the eyes checked out. There are surgeries for this kind of thing.

·
Premium Member
16,046 Posts
It might be an eye problem or just a bad habit, something fun to do. Regardless, to spin and then charge off and deliberately drop the rider is a dirty and totally unnecessary trick.

You say that you walk him in small circles when he does something wrong, this is not hard work or discipline, he needs to be trotted and cantered in a small circle, not worrying about where his head is or how he is travelling, but made to get into a sweat and know that he is not getting away with this bad behaviour.

I had a client whose horse always behaved in a similar fashion with her, one corner was going to make him spook and tank off. I could ride him and when he tried it on with me I was rough in that he got a sock in the teeth with the opposite rein to the way he was spooking, a hard boot with my leg and a whack down the neck with my whip. He didn't try it with me again but continued to do so with his rider, so, I stood a few feet from that corner with a dressage whip in my hand, he spooked towards me and learned it hurt. He soon stopped his silliness.

Riding cannot always be pretty, sometimes you have to get hard on them.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
Most likely your scared of the bush and he is reacting to your emotions. If it is always in one direction I would have his eyes checked and possibly a good Chiro. He is resistant for a reason and I don't like him being punished all the time. You need a partnership and for some reason you loose it. I don't think your trainer should have schooled him like that at an event either. She sounds rough and again no partnership is formed. Good thing it is a gelding, a mare wouldn't be putting up with you.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
The last time the OP even logged onto the Forum was 3 1/2 years ago.

As for her original problem ---- just another case of a horse 'talking themselves into being afraid of something'. They can do.

Someone just needed to give him a good enough reason NOT to continue with this learned, now 'ingrained' behavior.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.