The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had never heard of this but a friend swears a clinician (she thinks Clinton Anderson) says that the placement of the swirl (you know, the swirl of hair) on the horse's forehead determines a horse's personality. He said that if it's below the eyes, the horse is dull & slow. If it's above the eyes the horse is hot & flighty. But, like Goldilocks, if it's exactly between the eyes, the horse is "just right"!
:?
Is this some kind of known truth in the horse world that I have been missing out on all these years? Truth or fantasy? And besides this, are there any other mysterious horse personality indicators based on, oh I don't know, hoof size or shape, head shape, or any other thing I've never heard of?

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I never heard CA mention that, but I haave heard Linda Tellington-Jones discuss it. At least I think she was the one!

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
It's a fun idea, and if you're into palm reading and the like then it might be up your alley. Scientifically there isn't any basis but hey, science doesn't have the answers to everything right?!

In my personal opinion, it's probably about as accurate as palm reading too :wink:

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Yep, like others said, it's just an old wife's tale. While some people are shocked at it's accuracy, those are usually the same person who read their horoscope in the newspaper and preach about how right it was :roll:.

The fact is, any tie between behavior and the forehead swirl is completely coincidental.

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
It's actually called a whorl, and there's actually quite a bit that can be determined about a horse's personality by reading it. I had a thread going on this forum a few months back reading whorls. I had about a 98% accuracy record while knowing nothing about the horse except the picture of it's face. Make of it what you will, but I will look at a whorl before anything else when looking at a new horse.

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
Sorry, my post was not an invite to read more whorls. I've already done my time. I read over 100 of them a few months back. It's very tiring.

·
Banned
4,648 Posts
The way these things go is pretty simple. Pull up a horoscope, a Tarot card, a palm reading, whatever--it's going to apply to you, period. For example, let's pull up my Zodiac sign. I'm a horse--appropriate, right?

So, according to my sign,

"Horses are extremely intelligent so they’re able to grasp new subjects with ease....Horses are honest, friendly and open-minded. They’re perhaps a bit too centered on themselves and have been known to throw tantrums when situations don’t go their way….Horses enjoy positions in which they can interact with others. They aren’t fond of taking orders and they’ll run from jobs they consider routine. They’re able to grasp new subjects with ease making them capable of handling most any job. They’re effective communicators and they enjoy power….Lead Horses to wide, open spaces and watch them run free! Horses will usually only feel ill when they’re trapped inside.”

Wow! That’s totally me!

Except if I look up the sign of the Snake, which is not my year,

“The Snake symbolizes such character traits as intelligence, gracefulness and materialism. When it comes to decision-making, Snakes are extremely analytical and as a result, they don’t jump into situations. They are effective at getting the things they want, even if it means they have to scheme and plot along the way….Snakes prefer living a life of calmness, preferring quietness over noise and a manageable workload rather than a schedule that’s overly-booked. Snakes become easily stressed when their lives aren’t peaceful or in order….Snakes are very creative and extremely diligent. They’re excellent problem-solvers and thrive under tight deadlines.”

Oops.

Also totally me. Huh.

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
Pity. I wouldn't want to tax your psychic powers.
There is nothing psychic about reading whorls. The formation of the hairs is simple a footprint of the brain while it is forming. If you google whorls and do a little research, you will be able to read your own horse's whorl and stop snapping at people for not reading it for you.

·
Banned
4,648 Posts
I have read the articles. I have tested the information on my horses. It is not accurate, except in the vaguest of vague senses, as in, "this horse is intelligent, but can be spooky!" Well, yes, yes he can.

·
Registered
61 Posts
There is nothing psychic about reading whorls. The formation of the hairs is simple a footprint of the brain while it is forming. If you google whorls and do a little research, you will be able to read your own horse's whorl and stop snapping at people for not reading it for you.
She kind of has a point. It's really easy to do something like "read whorls" for people who have an open mind. Bubba clearly doesn't, so you're just proving her point by refusing to read her horse. I don't blame you, but be honest about it. Almost anything you say to someone who wants to believe you (or is at the very least of a neutral frame of mind) is probably just general enough that it can be tied to their horse, and if it can't because it's just that far off course? Well, that's that there 2% "inaccuracy" you mentioned earlier.

If there is nothing psychic about reading whorls, why is it so exhausting?

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
If there is nothing psychic about reading whorls, why is it so exhausting?
Stare at 100+ dots on horse's heads and then type entire paragraphs interpreting their meaning. Yes, it's tiring. I'm not conjuring up the horse spirits. I'm just typing a lot.

I did not read her whorl, because in the last thread, after offering to read one, I was then sent 100 more pics. I just wanted to avoid all the typing and move onto something else. I'm not avoiding anything besides the inconvenience of typing. As I said in my original post, she's free to interpret my input anyway she chooses. She does not, however, have permission to insult me.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
OP, good for you for being smart enough to ask about such things instead of just taking it for truth and passing it on.

Just like in every day life, sometimes in the horse world people lack common sense. In no way should you use that whorl to determine any facts about a horse. To me it'd be like determining a childs personality by his cowlick. It's just silly. If you really want to know a horses personality, then spend time with him.

·
Premium Member
12,841 Posts
I tried it on the 3 horses I've owned. It was pretty accurate with one, so-so with the second, and totally off on the third.

Personally, I prefer to toss a coin while the horse in question is whinnying. If it lands heads, the horse is smart. If it lands tails, the horse is...well...a horse's rear. If it lands on edge, you were not meant to know about the horse. My method is fast, and as accurate as reading the whorls was for me.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well doggone it! I thought maybe I had some kind of super special never discovered before kind of horse. Because my one mare has a super long swirl that's definitely below her eyes but she tends to be a special needs space alien head in the sky ding dong a lot of the time. And according to her swirl she should be a dead head dope. Oh well, very enlightening.
And a very fun discussion!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts