The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working with a lovely little mare who was used as a kids (I'm guessing 11-13 years) gymnkhana horse, then sold and spoiled for two years before coming to the place where I am now working with her.

Despite her trying to get away with little bucks when she doesn't want to do something, she also tries to buck when I reach back an touch her bum!!

I've had young horses get spooky from it, but they got over it. She just instantly dropped her head and went to try to buck.

Help!!!! What could be the cause???

At first I thought it could have been because she was whipped when she was run as a gymkhana horse, buuuuuut...i don't think that's right.

·
Banned
4,648 Posts
That doesn't really sound like a gymkhana-related issue. Unless she really was beaten back there. But I'd treat it like a sourness training problem, presuming there's no pain issue, and it doesn't seem like there is in this case. Whack her hard and make her work, or desensitize her to the touch, as appropriate the situation.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking of getting her saddled and just lead her around, touching her all over and what-not.

I think most of her problem is just being spoiled.

·
Registered
586 Posts
It does mostly sound like a being spoiled issue, making her work and touching her all over to desensitize will probably work wonders for her.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, a little update:

We fought with her today and got a bit in her mouth... and she was just an angel undersaddle!!! Worked wonderfully off of just seat and legs! Considering she's a former gymnkhana horse, we're gonna pull out the pop-up barrels next time I'm there and she how she reacts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.