The Horse Forum banner

found loose horse in heber Arizona

10992 Views 35 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  DraftyAiresMum
on april 5th a bay horse with a blue halter and leadrope was spotted wandering loose in heber. is anyone missing/looking for a missing horse? i have seen info on this horse on fb a few times but no one is stepping up saying it might be theirs. the horse seams to have found one of the wild herds so at least its not alone. though if its a mare the owner may have a surprise in 11 months. If you have any information on this horse i can get you in contact with the people who posted this on facebook (Heber Wild Horses)

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yep. apparently last year there was a mare with a rope around its neck. no one has any info on it after that so the mare may have died. I hope someone can get the halter off of her. it may take a few people to rope her and put her through some sort of shoot to get it off.

· Registered
7,232 Posts
I know nothing of this particular horse, however, the predicament doesn't surprise me at all. I am not all that far from Heber and we ride in wild horse country a lot. We frequently see domestic horses with various lameness's that have been turned loose, wild horses that have been haltered only to get away, etc.

My friend tried to get a halter off a young horse last year and failed. They get close enough for you to touch/feed, but when they realize you are trying to do something with them they bolt away. So you can't even get the halter off them. Hopefully someone got the halter off the mare. :evil:

· Registered
7,232 Posts
This is a horse we tried to get a halter off of last year without success.

They get close enough to come up to you for food, but won't let you really touch them. So if you ever DO get a halter on, you really can't get it back off. This guy had a broken halter, so I suspect someone tried to tie him. :-(

They are only semi-feral. Some are obviously domestic horses that have been turned loose. Some are wild as march hares. Most are in-between.

Attachments

· Registered
7,232 Posts
They are actually really attractive, well-built horses for the most part. I can see why someone would want one. They have nice bones and feet, come in beautiful colors, are just all-around nice looking horses. Their only short coming is they aren't super tall. But they aren't super short either. Their bone and hoof quality is better than most domestic horses, imo.

This is a really healthy looking herd I photographed last year. The gorgeous buckskin is the stallion. :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.