The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have wwaaayyyy too many prospects I'm looking at. Sad;y I can't buy them all. The first horse I was looking at proved to be less than ideal, so I kept on looking. Apparently too much, because I found about 16 horses I really like. Below are some descriptions and pictures so maybe list them in order of what you like? I'm not sure I just really need help!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I like #5 the best. Shorter back, I like her legs, and she seems well-built overall. I think she'd hold up well and place.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
There is just something I like about #7... I've had a couple horses that looked like him (QH/Arab) and they could flat out MOVE. He's downhill, but I LOVE his pasterns and back, seems to have a nice neck though its set high... Dash for cash breeding has been good for me, I have a DFC mare and adore her.

But I'm no barrel racer ;)

Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Number 1: Barrel broke mare runs 3D times, owner says has potential for 1D, 15.2 hh, 7 yrs old. Works off of leg cues. Out of the bunch she is the best trained. Really like this one.

Number 2: 2 yr old race trained QH filly that's been on the track a few times not sure what height she is. Her sire is Cosino, who traces to Corona Cartel.

Number 3: 3 yr old appendix, 15.2, broke for racing by Silver Devil. QH. His back looks a little too long to me.

Number 4: In my opinion, this 2 yr old QH filly is the by far the most attractive, but she literally has no experience. Out of Stratospheric, as far as I know, no training beyond basic race stuff.

Number 5: 6 yr old 15 hh QH mare, good solid riding foundation, done a little ranch work, started on barrels, light in the face, big stop, looks really sturdy in my opinion.

Number 6: This is the original gelding I was looking at, just couldn't throw him out, I just love his look! But he's at the bottom of my list because of his tiny front legs. :( I just love his build! Grandfather is Strawfly Special, one of the bigger horses here at 15.3, 6 yrs old QH.

Number 7: Buckskin QH mare, 15.3 hh, 7 yrs old, untrained, sire is half brother to dash for cash.

Number 8: 15.2 hh QH gelding, 12 yrs old, worked on a ranch most of his lif. Not one of my favorites probably because of his age, I want a horse to take with me into grad school.

Number 9: 15.1 appendix mare, 7 yrs old, shown at rodeos, team penning and ranch horse competitions. She's been shot off of, described as light on her feet with tremendous speed when asked. Has to be one of the best priced horses here. I like how just plain nice she looks.

Number 10:15.1 hh, 3yrs old, by Corona for me, Bold eXample in his line. Trained for riding and racing, lightly started at barrels, but tore a muscle several years ago I guess. Wondering if that would be a problem?

That's all on the first list, there's 6 more coming! :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is just something I like about #7... I've had a couple horses that looked like him (QH/Arab) and they could flat out MOVE. He's downhill, but I LOVE his pasterns and back, seems to have a nice neck though its set high... Dash for cash breeding has been good for me, I have a DFC mare and adore her.

But I'm no barrel racer ;)

Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device
I've heard of Dash for Cash as well and always thought it was pretty good. Thanks!

KadyMurphy, I do too! This is my dilemma! I like her muscling a lot!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, I decided to leave out the other six for now, and make another thread later with the top ones from this and then the rest.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I am intrigued with the numbers 2 number 6 and number 8.
Ideally number 8. preferably for his age and maturity.

He shows fit with pleasant bone and muscle anatomy.
large round shoulders to aid in looping around barrels snugly.
Short back to move dexterously.
his frame shows sound balance.

in appearance he is different from the rest.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
My pics would be #2,4,& 9

#2 that was raced you may have some retraining to do
#4 at 2yrs you couldn't be running barrels on her for year or 2.
#9 Nice short coupled,lower hock set I like, already broke just have to teach pattern. Probably you best bet :)

My other pick would have been #8 based on conformation for barrels & fact he's broke,but know you weren't keen about his age....

Reactions: elbandita

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh man, that's a lot to think about! You mentioned number 8, I'm not really seeing what you guys are seeing, and that's because I don't know much about barrel confo. What does the ideal barrel horse look like?

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
He has long sloping shoulder,good set of withers,head & neck tie in nicely,low set hocks,strong hindquarter & despite his age has a stronger topline/back than some of the others.:wink:

·
Registered
161 Posts
number 8 in comparison to the remainder possesses the desired anatomy of a barrel horse. from his bone and muscle anatomy to his overall proportion declares satisfactory.
Most commonly barrel horses are built like this. he is very speedy.

·
Registered
783 Posts
See and I like #8 build and muscling but I think he is way to fine boned and has no foot under him :-(
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,310 Posts
if you are wanting to compete Now, then look at something that has already been trained or started in competitions . They are all nice looking horses.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.