The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
that's poor, when $350 is that important to your family. THAT is sad, and I feel for them.
And that means they have no business having horses -------

Reactions: Chasin Ponies

·
Super Moderator
23,217 Posts
Oh, poor girl that it sounds like the owner only cares about the money they'll get for her. Just read your first post so far. Yes, even sole penetration can be healed, but without further info, and very serious considerations... It can be a long, hard road though, may take a lot of extra care for some time & one of my 'principles' is that you don't cause an animal significantly more suffering, or long term, in the name of 'rehab'. If you can't make the horse comfortable, get them out of pain in the short term, then it's not fair to do. And depending on circumstances, severity, facilities, etc, it might be difficult to do.

Now I'll read further...

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Hope this poor mare gets a soft landing in a good home. Makes me sick to my stomach to think they are going to ride this horse into the sale ring. For me it wasn't about how much money i could get out of my suffering horse...it was about his welfare. At least i can go to bed at night knowing where my boy is, been freed from his pain...best gift i could ever give him.

I type this with tears streaming down my face can hardly see the keyboard.

·
Super Moderator
23,217 Posts
After looking at pics, I'd say the poor mare has virtually no sole under P3 at all - that's the red outline you can see, the bruising of the bone, that close to the surface! Even without the bruising, you can see how flat her sole is, no depth, and virtually no thickness of frog at the apex at all. And some farrier has RASPED into that virtually non existent sole & not removed the excessive toe, to alleviate leverage/breakover either!! I'm sorry for the whole situation, must be awful for you to experience, but given the circumstances you describe, I think the best you could do - unless you've got a lot of spare $$, time & experienced help - is to buy the horse & put her down ASAP. :-(

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
the owner would rather have the mare go through the agony of being transported, with pus draining , no doubt painful, feet to a slaughter house for the $500 she might get, than to just *bleeping* put her down now?!!!

sorry, but this ****es me off.
Agree completely!
I had my vet tell me a story about a guy who brought in ahorse, badly injured, to the point the best advise was to put him down.
That stupid owner then asked the vet whether he though the horse could make the trip to Fort Mc cloud (slaughter plant there,about 100 miles from us)
The vet then asked this A-hole, whether the hrose had ever given him some pleasure in life
Thew answer was , 'well yes'.
Vet replied, 'can't you then do the decent thing, and have this hrose put down,rather then subjecting him to that long haul to that slaughter plant?!'

I simply do not understand people like this. I feel guilty leaving my horses, even for a week, while I go on holidays, worry about their fate, should I die before them, hoping my wishes in regards to my horses will be honored by my family

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
I worry about their fate, should I die before them, hoping my wishes in regards to my horses will be honored by my family
^^^That is exactly why I am down to my last two, ages 21+ and coming 23.

After they are gone, if I still have any zip left in me, the office manager at the vet facility always tells me, she has plenty of horses (some are rescues) and loaning me one or two won't be an issue.

We (you) have both been around horses for many decades, I'm not sure I would know what to do when I lay my last one to rest. How do you act without a horse in your life, after having them for a lifetime---------

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
update****

Hello everybody. I wanted to share some news about this mare. The last id heard was she had been taken to auction the day of my last post. Well yesterday I got a call from the neighbor and he asked if I was interested in the mare.... what? He said he paid the guy the $300 for her and had been unsure of what to do with her, she had broken through fence and ran, yes, ran over to neighboring horses. He finally called me and I of course went over to see her. He had been soaking her hay and her foot and she's lost some weight. I rasped the toe off the left front hoof as well as balanced the other and then took her for a walk.... she has a very slight limp, but seems to be moving well. I noticed immediate difference after taking the toe off. The sole is still thin, but it is no longer hot and soft... its much more firm. I know this mare has a looong road ahead and will always need special care, but she was just so bright eyed and lovey, I could not justify giving up on her. Long story short, I'm going to pick her up tomorrow and continue her immediate care. A good friend of mine has decided to offer her a retirement home if she continues to improve. If she takes a southward turn, I am prepared to euthanize her. I didn't expect to ever see this mare again, so I'm still in a bit of shock.... but figured you all might like to hear of her happier turn in life.

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
Wow what an ending! A screen writer couldn't have made something up this good.

Bless you a thousand time for taking her and bless your other neighbor equally for being so kind as to put up the $300.

We can only speculate at what made the owner decide to let the mare go in this manner.

Hugs to your neighbor that bought her, you, and your friend that has offered retirement if she pulls thru:loveshower::loveshower:

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.