The Horse Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 12 year old QH gelding 3 months ago. He was sound but was shod. I never skipped a PPE until now, I know I shouldn't have skipped it but can't change it now.

Anyway, Once I moved him we got the shoes pulled and right away he was off mostly on front right. Both farrier and I agreed to give him some time to adjust and if no improvement to do xrays. She suspected he had laminitis. I had the xrays done and it's worse than we thought. He foundered AND has navicular changes. There's about a 3 degree rotation in front left (early navicular changes) and about a 6 degree in front right (more visible navicular changes). My farrier says the rotation we can fix. But the question is.. do I treat him for navicular too? We did a nerve block on his front right and it did improve the right leg but he wasn't more lame on the left than before. Farrier thinks it's most likely the rotation causing pain, the vet said it could be either or both.

Obviously we are working on fixing the rotation but do I also start him on isoxsuprine at the same time? Vet said it could benefit him as he has both conditions so the extra blood flow might help but obviously it's not a guarantee. Just looking for general ideas. Maybe someone has been there done that and can give me some insight? :)

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
22,884 Posts
Hi,

As 'treatment' for founder & 'navicular' are essentially the same in my book - get the hooves into functional, well balanced form & protect/support as necessary to allow comfortable movement - yes, absolutely treat both.:wink::wink: But I personally wouldnt' worry about the circulatory drugs.

If you would like to get some opinions on his feet & specifics here, see the link in my signature below and then you can post some hoof pics.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts