The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a mare that a friend of a friend is trying to give away. My friend (who I am close with and the one who owned Heidi, the great little mare I leased) is very close with the owner of the mare and says that this little mare is sweet and calm. She is lazy, and I guess you have to wear spurs sometimes, but she is sweet. They think she would make a nice hunter, and I would do some intro/training level dressage with her to help her out for jumping.
A lot has been going on with Bear, I might post something about it, but nothing is set in stone, so I dont feel the need to quite yet.

Anyways, this is Charley a 7 year old 16.2hh reg. with the JC mare.

GetAttachment5.jpg

GetAttachment4.jpg

GetAttachment3.jpg

GetAttachment2.jpg

GetAttachment1.jpg

GetAttachment.jpg

I was told that she was bought to be made into a gamer, but it wasnt her calling and she prefers to just go slower and relax. She was lightly raced, but the just couldnt get her to go forward, so she didnt cut it at the track.
I have halfway been looking for a good project that already has a good solid start and just needs to be "finished".
Charley IS a Thoroughbred, I know she looks QH... I will hopefully be meeting her in a few weeks, so I will check out her tattoo and see if I can get her reg. name.

I feel really bad for asking you guys to critique, but I just want some opinions on if she is worth it (though she IS free). I will get confo shots when I go to see her too.

I would be doing 4H with her and open shows... :)

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
(Sorry for double posting)

She normally goes in a plain loose ring snaffle and is easy to ride. She isnt spooky and is willing to go do things that most horses would kind scary. As you can see, she rides on the beach, but she also goes on the road, trails, anything really. She trailers well too. :)

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
She looks like a nice mare. I hope she works for you if you decide to take her in.

·
Registered
198 Posts
i got a free horse and i couldn't ask for a better horse. if u decide to take her home u will need to take things easy first and then earn the repect from her.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys! I messaged the owner on facebook and asked her a bunch of questions. I will post what she said when I get a reply, which will hopefully be in a day or so. Anyone else notice how much alike Charley and Klassy (KlassicSuperStar's mare) look (both are TBs, Klassy is 4 and 15.1hh roughly and Charley is 7 and 16.2hh):

GetAttachment.jpg

Picture 626.jpg

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
Actually, I think she looks very much like a TB.

She has a lovely, soft, kind eye.

And 'free' is a relative term. You're not paying a purchase price, but she sure as heck won't be 'free' long! :wink:

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To me, she looks like an old style TB, she has "short" legs (when in my opinion they are a good lenght) and is stocky, when now-a-days TBs have legs that go on for days and are more slender loooking. That is just my oninion though.
I always say, "a free horse is never actually free." ;)

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Id say thats a good deal. I hope she works out for what you want to do. :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
An old cowboy once told me to always pay something for a horse even if it's a dollar! bad luck can come from not paying anything or so i was told anyway i would rather be safe that sorry lol.

Why is she giving the mare away? couldn't she get $ for her even just a small amount if nothing else?

If it all seems great than the only thing i would suggest is pay the little money to have a vet check done!

You may be inheriting someone else's problem that they just don't have the heart to deal with themselves' it does happen!

But if all is good and happy than i think you have stumbled across a real gem. good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.