The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please provide your thoughts on free lunging. How about having the horse jump while free lunging? I do this once in a while, my girls seem to like it and listen very well to voice commands.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I see no problem in it my horse seems better free lounging, I got my two boys to jump and they love it. they seem to enjoy it much better and my older gelding will fight me on a line but will listen to me without one.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Much prefer free lunging. I think the horse enjoys it more as they can play and romp. Mine used to stetch out into what I referred to as his Thoroughbred on the racetrack mode..full out gallop. Have to admit his balance was very good as he carried the speed all the way around the indoor arena. He was smart too...went across the diagonal as often as he could to get more distance to run. He would end with that "look at me I'm a Thoroughbred" trot...beautiful extended trot, floating, head and tail up high.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
I like free lunging. I don't have a round pen--my training area (originally fenced in for a garden, when I had cattle fencing--WHAT WAS I THINKING< DUH!!!!!) is 55 ft. x 65 ft, rectangular, but I still make it work. Sometimes I enlist a helper to stand by the gate with a lunge whip as a reminder to not stop there. I'm going to add some old plastic shower curtain rods later this month to the two closed corners (this has a gate at the NW and SE corners), to help, too.
It reinforces the most basic command of "impulsion" as an order for your horse to obey from YOU every single time. Your horse should never believe that he can freeze up and explode while you are aboard. Shying sideways, or cantering away and allowing you to turn towards a fearful object/animal/person is acceptable. The whip is an extension of your arm. I end my sessions by dropping the whip, signaling for my horse to come to me, and then lots of petting and praise.
I'd like to take my horses to the point where I can ask for each gait and get it while loose lunging, THEN, translate that to the 30 ft. lungeline bc your horse can carry himself throughout without the burden of the weight of a rider.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Much prefer free lunging. I think the horse enjoys it more as they can play and romp. Mine used to stetch out into what I referred to as his Thoroughbred on the racetrack mode..full out gallop.

Sounds like he has a good time. When I free lunge, it is work time. They have to listen to my voice, watch my signals and obey commands. It is such a great feeling to have no hold on the horse and have her do everything I ask. They get to run around the pasture with their buddy the pony, but when longing, play time is over and it is down to work.:wink:

Reactions: Corporal

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I could get him to settle and actually work but I liked to give him his play time too :) When in work mode he would go around me in exactly the same sized circle as he would have had on the line. Always amazed me :)

It is a special bond when you can free lunge on a standard circle and have the same control as though the horse is attached to the line, especially when they come up to you afterwards (at your invitation) and give you that loving nudge :)

·
Registered
17,077 Posts
Free lunging can go in one of two ways.

Well

or

Horrible

~~~

Well is where the horse is reading your body language, you use your body language accordingly to effectively work with the horse. The horse is focused and is paying attention and is respectful. The horse gets a very nice exercise session where they can loosen up their back and practice transitions and whatnot.

Horrible is where the horse isn't paying attention to the handler and is running around like a freight train. The handler isn't using body language to communicate at all, but only jshouting words that the horse is supposed to know and possibly chasing him around. Meanwhile the horse cannot find the space to relax but instead tightens up, maybe trips and hurts themselves.

The difference between the two is communication. You have to use your body language...you cannot just use words and expect the horse to know what you want. If you aren't consistent, then the horse won't have a clue which will leave you both frustrated.

As for jumping whilst free lunging... same thing. Communication has to be there... clear direction. Sure the horse isn't perfect and may goof off, but as long as you handle it cleanly and clearly.. then it should go well.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is a special bond when you can free lunge on a standard circle and have the same control as though the horse is attached to the line, especially when they come up to you afterwards (at your invitation) and give you that loving nudge :)[/QUOTE]

Whole-heartly agree :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone for your thoughts & input. I am going to go lunge my horse now:wave:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.