The Horse Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
unfortunately I think you're right. Maybe if he could live in a herd, out 24/7, fixed herd structure......maybe........
if he acutally LIKED other horses that might be something to think about. he's lived out in a pasture setting alone (for all intents and purposes - shared a fence line with the actual herd of horses but was in his own dry lot [desert, no grass]) with hay in front of him most hours of the day and still would crib. doesn't matter, he's gonna do it. *sigh*

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
It's pretty hard to convince people otherwise. One of the trainers at my barn has a TB mare who's 2 stalls down from a pony that cribs. Her horse recently found that she could pull on a loose piece of her feed tub and make a lot of noise; not cribbing, just playing with something with her mouth that makes a loud obnoxious sound. I overheard the trainer say that her horse better not be learning how to crib from the pony- mind you, her mare can't even see the pony, so she'd have to learn just by hearing him grunt. When I commented that studies haven't shown any evidence that horses learn to crib from observing other horses do it, she just dismissed it because I have a horse who cribs, and therefore I must be biased. :evil: It couldn't possibly be that I have a horse that cribs and therefore have a personal reason to really look into the latest research on causes, prevention and management of cribbers :evil:
ridiculous. just ridiculous. they do NOT learn it from other horses. ugh.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts