The Horse Forum banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Saturday was interesting. Traffic to Mom's was light. I forgot the little wine bottles, so stopped at a grocery store on the way. The aisles were pretty clean of TP and cleaning products. I grabbed the wine, but the lines were so long an they would not let me do self checkout with wine, so dumped it on the manager's station and left.

There is no direct freeway to her place from my place, so I take some back roads to hit state highways. On one back road, some young guys parked their at the side of the road that was overflowing with multi-packs of TP, and raising some over their heads at the passing cars. No doubt selling TP.

Picked up Mom and some wine. We made it to the cemetery on Saturday FAST - what usually is a little over an hour and a half drive due to traffic took us 45 minutes. We usually stop at Roger's Gardens (a great nursery not far from the cemetery) for single stem roses to put on the crypts, but they said they no longer carried them. We could buy a bunch though at $30. Yea, no. But the clerk told us Gelson's (grocery) had single stem flowers. We went there and the store was busy, but the flowers were separate with their own cashier. I didn't like the single stem roses they had, so bought a bunch ($16). I could divide them between the three crypts (my two sisters and my friend). Toasted to my sisters, talked a little memories and then headed home.

We usually stop at the Mall (Fashion Island) for lunch but was not going to this time. But ended up stopping as we were both hungry - Cheesecake Factory, Yum! Had one of their lunch specials - 1/2 Chicken Almond Salad Sandwich, loaded bake potato soup (good, but still prefer my Dad's basic version), and salad. We split the Lemoncello Tart.

Sunday, ran to two stores to get Mom the things she needed for a few weeks. Good thing she had most of the staples before hand. There were a few things she wanted that they didn't have - namely bread.

Now the CA Governor has imposed strict closures of bars & wineries & ordered restaurants to cut seating in half, but they could also do take-out/curb delivery. All schools have closed. My court is open, but wouldn't be surprised if they suspended civil matters; they cannot, constitutionally (state), suspend criminal matters due to due process rights, although I hear San Francisco has done that. I am sure that will be squashed right quick.

I am at work this morning even though we have a winter weather advisory with a threat of 3-4" of snow below pass level. I brought the truck but still hoping I can get home this afternoon. May leave early.

Crazy times.

·
Registered
6,880 Posts
If you struggle to memorize medical terms, take a look at this cheat sheet to make things a little bit easier – and funnier – for you:

Artery: The study of fine paintings

Bacteria: Back door to cafeteria

Barium: What doctors do when patients die

Catscan: Searching for kitty

Cauterize: Made eye contact with her

Coma: A punctuation mark.

D&C: Where Washington is

Enema: Not a friend

ER: The things on your head that you hear with

Fester: Quicker than someone else

Genes: Blue denim slacks

G.I. Series: World Series of military baseball

Hemorrhoid: A male from outer space

Impotent: Distinguished, well-known

Medical Staff: A doctor’s cane

Morbid: A higher offer than I bid

Nitrates: Cheaper than day rates

Organ Transplant: What you do to your piano when you move

Outpatient: A person who has fainted

Pap Smear: Making fun of Dad

Pathalogical: A reasonable way to go

Pharmacist: Person who makes a living dealing in agriculture

Pelvis: Second cousin to Elvis

Post Operative: A letter carrier

Recovery Room: Place to do upholstery

Rectum: Almost killed him

Red Blood Count: Dracula

Secretion: Hiding something

Seizure: Roman Emperor

Terminal Illness: Getting sick at the airport.

Thorax: A Dr. Seuss character

Triple Bypass: Better than a quarterback sneak

Tumor: More than one, an extra pair

Varicose: Near by/close by

Vein : Conceited

·
Registered
6,880 Posts
Omg i have a bruise on my leg because Ace bit my leg when i didnt give him a treat lol then he game me a kiss because he was sorry
Biting because he didn't get a treat is a no no . I don't care how many kisses he gave afterwards.

·
Registered
249 Posts
yea today i went to see me and he wouldnt leave my side and i had kids come by so i can see how he reacted to kids and all that........ and he was so shy he would walk up and hide behind me. But he figured they were not gonna hurt him so he went up to them and he cocked his leg licked his lips i was like wow hes doing so good

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Ran by our local BBQ place (which does a lot of southern dishes), who had corned beef/cabbage/potatoes/carrots/roll as a dinner special. The guy who owns this restaurant is a phenomenal cook and the meal was superb. All of our restaurants have adjusted to the Covid-19 limitations and I aim to support them. Important in a small town.

My local cowhorse association cancelled their April show. Only the two local general horse show clubs are sticking to their guns and keeping their shows on. Everything else is cancelling. Wonder how long that will go on ...

You may remember I bought a new TV. I put my other one (which was actually a monitor) of Craig's List for free - it's good for retro gaming at least still. Got two bites. The first one never responded when I asked a few questions. The 2nd guy, in LA, wanted me to do a bunch of tests for him so he could see what the picture was like (wanted to make sure it was good for gaming) before he committed to make the trip up for it. Dude - the TV is FREE ... I'm not jumping through hoops when the TV is free ... and is unhooked up in the garage and weighs 150 lbs (literally). I apologized to him that I would not do it; guess the tests weren't that important to him ... he's coming to get it on his way up to Sacramento in a few weeks. If he's a no show, I'll put the ad in again and if no bites, take it to goodwill or the dump. Hate to do that since it still works. But he's been chatty, so I think he may come and get it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
That dinner sounds good @kewpalace.... I would support local restaurants but it looks like they closed all bars and restaurants statewide?? That doesn't sound right but I haven't been out to check, a friend I had asked if they wanted to go out told me about the closings.

Things have gotten very different.... I personally have enough of everything that I can stay put for several weeks to a month but I might venture out at some point before that. I did go to Walmart on Saturday to get something for a party I was going to and the shelves were pretty empty. No carts were inside so went to get a cart and a gentleman was handing me his cart... went to grab it and thought about it... held up my hands like no thanks(hated doing that and that this is having me think like this)... out comes the sanitizer and he puts it on the cart and my hands... said he thoroughly cleaned the cart when he got it, so off I went with the cart. Like I said different times.

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
@lb27312- in VT and NH, bars and restaurants are all closed for dine in but to-go orders are still allowed if restaurants decided to stay open (some have just blanket shut down and I sincerely hope they will be able to survive to open in the future). To-go orders aren't really that common here since we're so rural, but places are making it fairly easy to call ahead for an order, and they either deliver it to your car or leave it on their porch for you to grab. Like @kewpalace, we're trying to support our small town places with take-out orders and buying gift cards for future use.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
@lb27312, bars are closed here; restaurants can have dine in, but only at 50% capacity max. They can do take out and delivery to the street/parking lot or if they have home delivery service capability. Being in a small town, the home delivery is not offered at most restaurants (especially as the majority of residences live 5+ miles from town).

Went to the grocery store last night. The only thing they didn't have that I was looking for was Mac N Cheese and potatoes. Didn't look for TP or sanitizer since I already have plenty for the time being.

·
Registered
534 Posts
@egrogan - thanks for the advice to do the order out... looks like a couple of the small mom and pop restaurants in my small town are doing the orders to go, good way to keep supporting them during this time, I'm sure it's not easy on them having to close the dining room. I guess it didn't occur to me that they could have a back up plan!
@aubie - I would wear the gloves... my bother who is over in Taiwan is worried about me over here, keeps emailing me asking how I am.... I guess he's seeing all the chaos and they are showing how bad it is here over there. He offered to fed ex me masks as they have masks over there. And that's huge as doing fed ex from/to there is pricey!! Any way better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
I went grocery shopping Monday. I avoided shopping in the big town as I talked to my UPS delivery guy, he said it was disastrous.
I went to our little store and got most everything I needed as it had been a couple weeks since I've shopped. No hoarding on my part, just enough to get us through another week or two. The only thing completely gone out was the TP, rice, pasta, flour and potatoes. I live in ID and there is not a potato to be found!
Problem is people from other towns and states are coming and wiping us out locally.
I actually do need TP, the gal at the Dollar Store leaned over the counter and whispered like we were doing a drug deal, "we are getting a shipment on Thursday night".
I feel as though all common sense got thrown out the window in this situation. There is a difference between erring on the side of caution and preparedness and panicking. Oye.

A lot of the horse shows are canceled or postponed through the next month. On the bright side it gives us more time to train and practice!

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
A local pizza place here, which can now only do take out, is offering a free roll of toilet paper with every to go order! :rofl: They just got a huge supply delivery for the restaurant, but since their rather large dining room and bar is closed for probably a month (or longer?) they decided to pass it on to their customers. Thought that was cute.

81 - 95 of 95 Posts