The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's somewhat dumb question, but... My horse is heavy on forehand. So I'm working on it now and taking lessons to help her to become lighter and work from her hind (that include the contact with her mouth to help her to keep up (NOT pulling)). So my question is if she'll improve, and I'll go back to trail riding only, will she drop back to forehand with the loose reins and not so many transitions walk-trot?

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
Who says you can't do walk-trot transitions on a trail? I personally love to w/t/c on the trails I ride on....of course there are certain places where you can't for safety reasons, but I don't see a logical reason why you won't be able to keep up the work you're doing currently.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
You can do all the same things on the trail that you can do in the arena. I often will ask my horses to collect for a couple of strides, or sidepass, and do transition as well. You have to all bring into mind your horse's conformation when it comes to being heavy in the front end, if you horse is built downhill they are never going to as light and fluffy as a horse that is built uphill.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, folks! I'm usually somewhat lazy on trail just enjoying, but what you said makes sense. :)

Dragon, she IS build that she's heavy on forehand. I certainly don't expect her to be super light. Lol! But I still want to light her as much as possible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.