Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have a question for those of you who do a lot of real cow work or "off-road" trail riding. I have a gelding, one of my working cow horses, an ex-cart horse who clips his front fetlocks with his hind feet. I have a pair of cheap front brush boots we've been using, but they are really becoming seriously tattered. Bell Boors don't dome up high enough to provide the neccesary protection. He clips his fetlocks, not his heels. His fetlocks are literally almost double the size of a normal horses' from years of damage. So my question is what make is good to use on him?

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
There is a really good boot called the lagacy boot. It is design especially for cutting horses but is used pretty widely. They have a "strike pad" On the fetlock which is very helpful

And the strike pads...Theyre the black bits :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
I own the roma's and although I like them, they do NOT hold up to daily wear and tear. I only bought them for a young horse because they were cheap and easily replaced.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi guys, thanks for the suggestions. His current pair came back in such a state last time he was out, I'm not sure I'll even bother with them when he goes out pn monday. I suppose to a big extent Monday will determine whether he needs a new pair. Last time he came back with his brush boots completely askew, with the protective part on the outside and his fetlocks didn't show any marks. Maybe with the cattle work he has to think where he puts his feet, he can't just "let go". He tends to be a hot horse by nature, so in the cart he just hits the road and goes top speed.
But please keep the suggestions coming, in case Monday proves he still needs boots.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
affored, thanks yes those look like they might hold up to the wear and tear. Unfortunately we have a lot of low growing thorny bushes and they're hell on boots. The cows unfortunately aren't always in the mood to cooperate so the horses have to go where they go to fetch them back.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I remember those days, lol. That's why I thought leather might be your best bet.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.