The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, if it isn't one thing, it's another right?

*sigh*

Nelson is lame, yet again. But this one is confusing. Saturday, a friend was using him in a Hunter/Jumper schooling show and during their warmup, Nelson tripped, stumbled and fell on his right knee.

I wasn't there, I didn't see it. But I caught them walking while my Coach was examining Nelson, so I rushed over to see what was going on.

I couldn't feel heat, neither could my Coach, but when he was walking, you could definately see a limp. So she hand walked him around a bit, and he came out of the limp at the walk, and we asked for the trot. At the trot it was apparant.

So we untacked him and I hosed off his front legs 20 minutes each, gave him bute and put liniment on them. For the next 3 days I did the same thing.

All week, he seemed fine. No swelling, no heat. He played in his paddock normally - so I tack him up today.

At the walk both ways, perfectly fine. So we walked for a good 20 mintues, and then I asked for the trot. We went clockwise, and he was perfectly fine. The moment we went counter, there was the limp again.

I hopped off right away, untacked him and walked him around a bit. I called friends over and they felt his ankles and tendons - nothing. We are baffled.

Now I ran my hands down his back on both sides, and he was very tender. So maybe his back is out? I don't know.

None-the-less, I pulled us out of the May 2nd HT.

My Vet is coming out tomorrow to check him over, so we'll find out what is up. Thankfully she is a certified chiro as well.

*sigh* *sigh* *double sigh*

I hosed his legs off again today for 20 minutes each, and the whole time, I was crouched down crying.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Oh I'm there with you. Annalie has been lame for the past three days.

Hope it's nothing serious : /

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
I said it on FB but I'll say it again.

I'm sorry, Kim :( I hope Nelson has a speedy recovery and you guys are back in the show ring in no time!

Seems like when it rains, it pours as of late. *sigh*

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it were one of his front legs, can you decipher which one it would be by him being able to trot just fine to the right, but not so well to the left?

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
mmm not necessarily. May be more apparent on a small circle though.

·
Registered
644 Posts
:-( That really sucks. Just as you were getting right into the stadium jumping as well.
I hope that your vet can sort him out and you can get back into your training soon.

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
Ugh, I feel for you. You sure have been hit with a lot this year. It does sound like it might be a mild strain somewhere. That stuff tends to heal quickly. Hopefully he'll be back to his old self soon enough. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. I am so frustrated and my emotions are going up and down.

I am about ready to bang my head on a wall or something.

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
Thanks everyone. I am so frustrated and my emotions are going up and down.

I am about ready to bang my head on a wall or something.
If you must bang yoru head, duck tape a pillow to the wall first :) lol

i hope he gets better soon so you guys can have fun and ride again! :)

·
Registered
23,642 Posts
If it were one of his front legs, can you decipher which one it would be by him being able to trot just fine to the right, but not so well to the left?
I don't want to scare you, because it could be a million things, but that's what Denny has/had. Since mid-January he's been ever so slightly off here and there, most apparent at a trot. One direction he'd be fine, and the other it was obvious he was off. The vet looked specifically for what's called "swinging limb" lameness - he's off when lunged to the left, but he's lame on his right front, aka the outer (swinging) limb. He has a very mild strained suspensory injury.
It doesn't sound like the mechanism of injury would cause a suspensory injury, but I thought I would chime in.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Funny thing is a horse I used to jump on is lame right now with similar symptoms. No heat or inflammation, x-rayed clean, but still limps on the (I think) left front, but someone else said it looked like the right front, so maybe it's a switching. I have an inkling that it's something in his back/shoulders muscle wise because he can be sore to the touch, but his owners are not adamant about horse care the way I am and thus have him sitting around in his stall with no diagnosis. It's been about a month, and it hasn't improved from what I hear.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's sad roro :(

Thankfully my vet is a Chiro as well and an accupuncturist, so I told her to give him an adjustment tomorrow as well. Anxiously awaiting to find out what her prognosis is. I just pray it isn't anything serious.

Thanks JDI, I will see what my Vet says. I hope it isn't anything torn, because maaaan!

·
Registered
955 Posts
OH, I feel for you. Horses are so darn fragile. Nelson is beautiful in that jumping video you posted and the riding season is just starting. You have every right to cry. I hope the vet has positive news.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks JDI for your good vibes, I hope it is "good" news today, being simple and an easy fix.

I'd be very frustrated if he had to do stall rest again, and so would he. I fear the same incident that occured in Jan happening again if this is the case.

I hate to jump to conclusions, since the vet hasn't even seen him yet - so all the good vibes and thoughts will help.

Thanks Juniper for your kind words!

Ugh, I barely got any sleep last night, tossed and turned about Nelson.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Please update us with what your vet says today. You guys have had it so rough this year, I'm so sorry that you have had to go through so much. Lots of healing vibes and well wishes to Nelson to make a speedy recovery!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Naaw :( Hoping Nelson gets better soon. Its just been one bad thing after another, so I'm definitely thinking of you two. I know how lame it is when you don't know why your horse is lame.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Could it be something in the back end again? My old QH gelding use to limp on the front leg because he was trying to get off the back leg when he use to get his abscesses.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.