The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doubting if there'll be any answers, but I figured I'd go ahead and ask this anyway...
I'm vegan (not associated with PETA and not any kind of crazy extremist, just to clarify! Please try to be respectful!) so I try to use only synthetic tack. So far I've had a lot of luck for the most part...I certainly don't ever compromise my horses' comfort or performance. So far, as far as saddles go, I've been pretty successful with Wintec saddles, especially on the English side of things.
I might possibly be getting a new western saddle soon, though, as I'll be getting a new horse (who will be ridden mostly Western). In the past I was never able to find a Western saddle that was totally synthetic with no leather points anywhere outside of a Wintec, and I'm still never able to find anything when I look but I'm just curious if anyone here knows of anything (of decent quality, of course)
I kind of doubt it but I figured I'd ask. If it turns out that my new horse doesn't fit any fully synthetic saddles I'm certainly not unwilling to pick up something like an Abetta (anything mostly synthetic with minimal leather) instead, I'm just more comfortable avoiding leather as much as possible.

**Note: I don't show and don't have any plans to show in the near future in anything beyond something small for fun.

Thank you for any and all help and for being respectful! :wink:

·
Registered
13,661 Posts
I'm doubting if there'll be any answers, but I figured I'd go ahead and ask this anyway...
I'm vegan (not associated with PETA and not any kind of crazy extremist, just to clarify! Please try to be respectful!) so I try to use only synthetic tack. So far I've had a lot of luck for the most part...I certainly don't ever compromise my horses' comfort or performance. So far, as far as saddles go, I've been pretty successful with Wintec saddles, especially on the English side of things.
I might possibly be getting a new western saddle soon, though, as I'll be getting a new horse (who will be ridden mostly Western). In the past I was never able to find a Western saddle that was totally synthetic with no leather points anywhere outside of a Wintec, and I'm still never able to find anything when I look but I'm just curious if anyone here knows of anything (of decent quality, of course)
I kind of doubt it but I figured I'd ask. If it turns out that my new horse doesn't fit any fully synthetic saddles I'm certainly not unwilling to pick up something like an Abetta (anything mostly synthetic with minimal leather) instead, I'm just more comfortable avoiding leather as much as possible.

**Note: I don't show and don't have any plans to show in the near future in anything beyond something small for fun.

Thank you for any and all help and for being respectful! :wink:
There are only a few 100% Synthetic Western Saddles:

Wintec
Circle P
Weaver
Abetta

Abetta is the ONLY one I would even consider owning! (actually own 4 of them :wink:)

There are several no name and fake name Imports

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Hmmm... How do you know it's true synthetic? And why Big Horn is not a true synthetic? Bighorn Cordura Trail Saddle #104 (Size 14) - PFI Western Store

I'd go with Big Horn first (not necessarily the one I posted, I'm sure they have several models), then Abetta. It's a personal preference, of course, I tried Big Horn at the Expo and it was very comfortable to sit in.

BTW, there is nothing wrong or to be ashamed of in riding in synthetic saddle. While I personally not a big fan for number of reasons, I really don't like when people pointing fingers or laugh about the synthetic tack.

·
Registered
13,661 Posts
Hmmm... How do you know it's true synthetic? And why Big Horn is not a true synthetic? Bighorn Cordura Trail Saddle #104 (Size 14) - PFI Western Store

I'd go with Big Horn first (not necessarily the one I posted, I'm sure they have several models), then Abetta. It's a personal preference, of course, I tried Big Horn at the Expo and it was very comfortable to sit in.

BTW, there is nothing wrong or to be ashamed of in riding in synthetic saddle. While I personally not a big fan for number of reasons, I really don't like when people pointing fingers or laugh about the synthetic tack.
Bighorn uses leather over the pommel, around the cantle and the jockies are leather. Bighorn uses suede seats too, which comes from a cow.

The other brands I mentioned are all synthetic materials.

Abetta use a synthetic leather around the pommel and around the cantle on some models, the seat is synthetic.

Many people prefer a Bighorn over an Abetta, only the OP wanted 100% synthetic materials.

One of our Abetta's is 17 YO, Synthetics and part Synthetics are becoming very popular because of price and being 16-18 lbs, no shame in either reason :)

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Bighorn uses leather over the pommel, around the cantle and the jockies are leather. Bighorn uses suede seats too, which comes from a cow.

The other brands I mentioned are all synthetic materials.

Abetta use a synthetic leather around the pommel and around the cantle on some models, the seat is synthetic.

Many people prefer a Bighorn over an Abetta, only the OP wanted 100% synthetic materials.

One of our Abetta's is 17 YO, Synthetics and part Synthetics are becoming very popular because of price and being 16-18 lbs, no shame in either reason :)

I see. It's funny though, because the model of Big Horn I've seen at the Expo didn't look like it's a leather anywhere. Although may be it was - just looked different.

·
Super Moderator
27,171 Posts
I have one that is all leather with a suede seat... I bought it almost 20 years ago though.....

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I could be wrong but out of curiosity... Isnt the leather you buy(tack, clothing ect) just the stuff from the processed meat cattle?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
13,661 Posts
I see. It's funny though, because the model of Big Horn I've seen at the Expo didn't look like it's a leather anywhere. Although may be it was - just looked different.
This Bighorn has Suede Covering the Jockies, Pommel and Seat, I think it is Suede from a Cow, I could be wrong. :wink:

·
Registered
13,661 Posts
I could be wrong but out of curiosity... Isnt the leather you buy(tack, clothing ect) just the stuff from the processed meat cattle?
Posted via Mobile Device
Unless it is from India and then it is Water Buffalo Leather, all kinds of Leather Coats, Saddles, Shoes, etc. is coming from there lately :)

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I personally LOVE my wintec! It is super comfortable and much lighter then my other saddle. But, I have never used any other saddle brand so I don't know how they are.

P.S Yeah I remember the PETA conversation! LOL :)

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
This Bighorn has Suede Covering the Jockies, Pommel and Seat, I think it is Suede from a Cow, I could be wrong. :wink:
I think you are correct - suede is cow. Although these days I'm not sure about anything. LOL!

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I think the OP means she would prefer a saddle made with no animal products at all. I'd be inclined to go with the Abetta. I have my eye on one of them as well - Can't wait until income tax refund time!:lol:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Hi there! I'm vegan too.

I personally love the wintecs, both english and western.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks very much to everyone for being helpful and respectful! =)
I've always very much liked Abettas- very comfortable and well-made! But in my experience with them they are, in fact, not without any leather- they had it along the stirrups and over the horn. I'm unsure about the other brands though...
I actually hadn't heard of Circle P, those caught my interest. I'll definitely look further into those and see if they're anything I'd like to try.

Definitely if nothing else works out I'll be going back to an Abetta, I loved the one I had before my Wintec.

·
Banned
5,892 Posts
Just make sure that you arent writing them off for having a leather wrapped pommel when infact...its pleather. The stuff they make anymore is pretty decieving! Most of the synthetics that I see advertised look like they may have some leather to them but they all say to just hose them down with soap and water. I dont know that would be a reccomendation for something that was actually leather.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Oh! I forgot! Lami-cell maks a nice western saddle too- caramel-toned, with butterfly skirts.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Thanks very much to everyone for being helpful and respectful! =)
I've always very much liked Abettas- very comfortable and well-made! But in my experience with them they are, in fact, not without any leather- they had it along the stirrups and over the horn. I'm unsure about the other brands though...
I actually hadn't heard of Circle P, those caught my interest. I'll definitely look further into those and see if they're anything I'd like to try.

Definitely if nothing else works out I'll be going back to an Abetta, I loved the one I had before my Wintec.
Don't go with those junk brands whether they have leather or they don't. They don't hold well and don't fit the horse well. In the end it's all about the horse fit (which is number 1 in saddle search).

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I have an Abetta Endurance saddle and it is all "pleather" on the pommel and such (no horn, so no leather there). It has a couple of leather pieces on the "conchos" and under the fenders. You could replace the conchos, but the fenders really need some reinforcement where the adjustment holes are. Without something sewn in there, you risk the nylon unraveling.

It's tough to find a 100% leather-free saddle. Even Wintec English saddles use leather billets, or at least they did the last time I bought one (2005).

Circle P saddles are Asian made junk. The only synthetic western brands I would consider are Abetta, Fabtron, Big Horn, and Wintec, in that order.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
^Some wintec english saddles have leather points... the 2000 series I believe?

·
Registered
537 Posts
I currently have 3 synthetic Wintec western saddles...there isn't any leather on them! The material looks more like leather than other synthetic brands in my opinion.

If the OP is interested, I am currently selling on of my Wintec western saddles. It was the wrong size for my appaloosa.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.