The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 19 yo quarter horse mare has developed what SmartPak is calling Fecal Water syndrome( watery discharge after she has passed manure that stains her hindquarters and tail). Our vet was out yesterday and I asked if she had any ideas what was causing it and what I could do about it. She suggested trying Equishure. I see on here that some people suggest using probiotics or prebiotics which is in the feed she gets now otherwise I'd go try that first. Anyone have other ideas or find something that works? Other than this she is in good health, no other conditions.

·
Registered
10,604 Posts
1. The honest-to-goodness quality pre-probiotics in any substantial amount are not in horse feeds or ration balancers.

Yes the companies do add some and they may work for horses without any serious issues.

Your horse has issues so it would be in her best interest if you buy a PURE live culture pre-probiotics that does NOT have fillers.

I feed GutWerks by HorseTech to my horses.

2. EquiShur is not a pre-probiotic. It is for hindgut acidosis and ulcer issues.

Based on what you say, it’s the completely wrong product to help the horse, OR, the vet suspects something else she should have told you about.

I would call her back and ask her if she suspects hind gut issues. If so, then try the Equishure. Although when my gelding had hind gut issues he never had watery manure.

3. It a high quality pre-probiotic doesn’t help, the mare may have gut bacteria that requires yet a different product. ATM, I can’t remember the name of it.

But for now, invest in a good pre-probiotic and see it that works. I highly recommend the GutWerks. I have been buying from HorseTech since 2014. Their product ingredients are consistent, they offer great customer service:)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I tried pro-bios for my horse which helped for a short while then stopped. I tried a number of other things and felt they made a difference, then stopped working after a few days or a month or so.

The thing that cleared it up was feeding dry pellets every meal. It took about 3 days for it to clear up doing the pellets only. After that I decided to keep him on pellets for a while since it was working. Eventually I was able to do half pellets half hay and it wasn't as bad.
After that I moved barns and now he gets a low starch hay and no pellets at all. There's been no return of the watery manure thank goodness. It was horrible for both of us to deal with.

Has your feed changed at all? The environment?

·
Registered
14,333 Posts
I've had good results with FasTrack probiotics. I have a mare who tends to having watery kind of like cow patties rather than horse apples, poops and the FasTrack seems to work the best. I tried Probios with no result, and a couple of others, nothing. I also keep all of my horses on Moorman's Gro Strong Minerals, not sure if that helps the poop quality or not but they sure do look good with both products used every day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts