The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my loan is ridden in a dutch gag, on the lowest loop (the most leverage)

Ive ridden her for just over a year and found that she can be hacked nicely on the middle loop, and have recently started schooling her on the highest loop (the one that is attached to the mouthpiece)

is this now the same as a snaffle? or is the action still different? I've heard that gags put upwards pressure on the horse, but I thought they pressed on the pol- and is this upwards pressure the same as a snaffle would be as I currently have it set up?

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
I think that would depend if you're using it with a curb strap and still hanging it from the bridle loop while using it on the big ring. ( the ring the mouthpiece is attached to)

ETA, also if your rein slides on the ring or if it causes the ring to slide through the mouthpiece engaging the gag portion.

Reactions: boots

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
You could argue that the Dutch Gag isn’t really a true gag, it’s more like a pelham. As you said, you get more leverage as you go down the fixed rings. The bit asks more for the head to be lowered and the nose pulled in by applying pressure to the tongue, jaw and poll than any head lifting pressure on the lips.

On the main ring, it’ll work mostly like a snaffle, with a tiny amount of poll pressure.

A true gag raises the head by increasing pressure on corners of the lips. When the reins are pulled, they slide through the holes in the bit raising it in the mouth encouraging the head to lift.

·
Administrator
36,133 Posts
If you're on the top ring its going to be very close to behaving like a snaffle bit, the slight difference comes into effect when you apply more pressure than you normally would because the ring you're attached too isn't connected directly to the bridle like a snaffle does. Instead of a direct action on the bars it will rotate around that ring that's between the top ring and the bridle and raise the mouthpiece upwards - just not very much as the ring's very small

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think that would depend if you're using it with a curb strap and still hanging it from the bridle loop while using it on the big ring. ( the ring the mouthpiece is attached to)

ETA, also if your rein slides on the ring or if it causes the ring to slide through the mouthpiece engaging the gag portion.

her reins have metal clips on the end (like on a lead rope) that we put onto the rings on the bit, so I think the rein would slide around on the ring?
(also ik some people have an issue with clips, but I cant change her tack- she's a loan- and she's not left in a bridle on her own ever)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.