The Horse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took Cinny for a ride in Pioneers park today (668 acres of tallgrass prairie, woodlands, wetlands and a stream). He spooked at a stupid drain cover on our way back to the stable. His normal spook is a "teleport sideways" but today he did a jump and spin causing me to come off. I landed on my right left arm and hip and still had a hold on the reins with my right hand but he started to rear so I let go. Normally when he spooks and gets away from me he quickly gets over himself and then stands quietly. Well, today he looked at me on the ground, rolled his eyes up in his head and bolted through the park towards the barn. I've never seen him run so fast before!

All I could think of on the 2 mile walk home was that I was going to find him hung up in the trees by his tack or on the ground broken from a bad fall. Just as I was turning up the path to the barn a friend greeted me and said she had Cinny in the arena and he was ok. That's when my arm started to hurt and my insides and I just collapsed crying. On further inspection my reins had ripped through my glove on my right hand and tore up the skin pretty bad so I'm really worried about his face and mouth. He had on his brand new Micklem Multibridle that just came in the mail yesterday. I put the tongue and bar saver clips on so I think it really helped. No cuts, no mouth soreness, he's perfect!

Em said he cam tearing into the stable yard like his tail was on fire but as soon as he saw her in the yard slowed to a soft trot and then came over and nuzzled her all over. She said it was as if he were saying "a HUMAN....I know you will know what to do."

So, I now have some bad bruises and sprained the tendons in my lower arm, wrist and hand but that's it. There isn't a mark on my new Helmet despite hitting asphalt (I was crossing a small road cars take to get in to the park) so I really doubt I hit my head on the ground. Asphalt really would have left a mark.

All in all, I chalk it up to a very lucky day!

·
Super Moderator
26,364 Posts
Bad pony!!! Isn't it funny how the horse does something stupid and reacts stupid and all we do is worry about the stupid horse?!

I'm glad you are ok,...

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
Ouch D: sounds like a nasty fall. Tylenol for you tomorrow, and hugs! Sorry that happened!

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
So sorry to hear about your unfortunate ride! Walking back to the barn horseless and sore with a broken ego is never fun :-( Don't ever think that it doesn't happen to the best of us, though! I nearly came off the other day when the barn owner reached down suddenly to swat a mosquito off of my normally non-spooky horse!

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I think it's crazy how you talked about getting your vest or his bridle, and that he's usually a solid horse. Then this happens! It goes to show how unpredictable horses can be! o_O
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ha ha I know. But I'm happy I had the bridle with those bit protection clips. If my hand got tore up that bad through gloves he might have gotten hurt pretty bad without them. He was also wearing his Sprenger Duo which is a flexible rubber bit as well.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Cinny, glad you are ok. I can totally relate since something similar happened with Mona a few years ago. Just don't let this mess with your head.

·
Registered
48,597 Posts
OH, dear! I am so sorry to hear that. you get a little "been there , done that" maternal , supportive, cheer -you-up hug. I had a fall in June, similar spook + spin and man, the ground is hard! I am glad you are ok, and Cinny did not get hurt, the big, silly lug!

take it easy, hot bath, ice on your arm, and a martini!

·
Registered
48,597 Posts
I think it's crazy how you talked about getting your vest or his bridle, and that he's usually a solid horse. Then this happens! It goes to show how unpredictable horses can be! o_O
Posted via Mobile Device

that's right!! did you have some kind of hinky feeling about this, a ways back when you were considering this choice? wierd.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts