The Horse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying for a year to get my horse to gain weight after his gelding operation. he has gained about 10kg in the year. We have increased his food and we have fed him a different feed, more hay, and added rice bran oil to his diet, however he won't gain any weight! He is perfectly healthy and we have him checked regularly, he is just very skinny.
We would like him to gain another 50kg.

Any advice will be much appreciated :)

·
Registered
14,644 Posts
If you increases his food and he is very skinny, you need to consult a vet. Something is wrong, more food equals more weight, if your horse is very skinny with more food it means that he has internal issues somewhere. You cannot get a diagnosis on the internet, besides fecal check for parasites and a dental exam, which require a veterinarian.

Reactions: loosie

·
Premium Member
23,910 Posts
Sounds like you may need a second opinion of another vet, someone more well versed on horse nutrition & digestion.

What tests did the vet do? What exactly did he say? 'Nothing wrong' or did he make other noises? Did he advise you to up the feed or feed him differently? What sort of body score is the horse(look up the Henneke body condition scoring).

What exactly is the feed the horse is/was on? How much, by weight? Over how many meals daily? How's his nutritional balance?(sometimes everything else can be good but horses 'fail to thrive' due to nutritional imbalances) What is his history - had him long prior to gelding? How was he then? Has he been tested for ulcers?

·
Registered
14,644 Posts
A vet that looks at a very skinny horse and says nothing is wrong must have got their veterinarian degree out of a Cracker Jack box. Even my four-year-old granddaughter can tell you something's wrong with a skinny horse.

·
Super Moderator
14,725 Posts
If the vet is saying there is nothing wrong with the horse maybe you are not feeding the horse enough food to gain weight.
Horses use food and the calories/energy from it just existing. They burn calories breathing and just moving around...
We need to feed them more calories per day than they need to live to gain weight.
You list all those food items you feed but you don't list how much of anything...
If that is your horse in your avatar he is a big horse, he needs a lot of food every day fed to gain and maintain his weight. If you ride him, he needs more food fed since he burns calories/energy when working for you.

So, wait a minute.... :neutral:
I used a internet conversion chart to go from pounds to kg to better understand the weight issue you have.
So, guessing the horse is about 16 hands.
That on a average framed horse = 1200 pounds is 544kg.
You are referring to wanting another 50kg on the horse = 100 pounds.
I can tell you the last bit of weight is the hardest to have a animal gain and maintain.
Again, you need to feed more food than the horse must have for him to gain any weight...
Some horses also will never "appear or look" fat but they are a healthy weight, in shape and good physical condition.
If your horse is a Thoroughbred they often never resemble round and pudgy but have ribs seen when they move under their coats and not the greatest top-line if they not have a stellar/exceptional build to their body you see a bit of spine bones.
Today many see "fat" horses and think that is healthy....it isn't.
Learn how to score a horse using the Henneke scoring system or ask the vet to teach you.

I've given you 3 working links to word description and visual picture accompaniment to help you understand what to look for and at....
https://www.habitatforhorses.org/the-henneke-body-condition-scoring-system/
https://tributeequinenutrition.com/sites/default/files/uploads/Henneke-Body-Scoring-System-Scale.pdf
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henneke_horse_body_condition_scoring_system

If your horse has been under vet care, the vet says the horse is good weight...that is a hands-on evaluation done by a professional.
Did the vet say the horse needs?
Or is that your feeling?
Can you show current pictures of your horse so we can help you to see if the horse really needs weight or is a good weight for the animal?
To continue to try to put weight on him will make him fat and obese if he is now a good weight for him...there is a fine line.
:runninghorse2:....
jmo...

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,080 Posts
What is he actually being fed? Sometimes people underestimate how much their horses need to eat. I'll see people ask, in forums, why their horse isn't gaining weight despite being fed "a lot" and it turns out they're only getting three flakes of hay a day and a scoop of oats or corn, or sweet feed, or something pretty useless. No wonder. Not saying it's the case with yours, but saying his feed has been increased doesn't mean much without knowing what he's actually getting.

Does he have constant access to hay, 24/7? And/or is he on really good pasture? A lot of people under-feed the forage part of the diet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts